AutoKitty

[Solved] Import automatically resizes? How to import original size?

I've noticed that when importing pictures from the Photo app, it automatically downsizes pictures that are larger than the screen size (2732x2048, iPad Pro 12.9").

Am I missing a way to import the original size? Thanks!

Edit: Grr. Looks like it's the fault of the Photo app. Will try downloading a pic from iCloud and see how that works...

Edit2:  Okay, it works when importing from iCloud.  What's the point, though.  I want to be able to use my iPad to edit documents on the go, not have to sit by my computer to swap pictures back-n-forth.

Hi AutoKitty,

What was the source of the image you were trying to import? Was it a photo taken from the device camera or was it an imported RAW file into Photos or another image format imported into Photos?

We're aware of an issue where importing a RAW file from Photos is currently using the embedded JPG and not the RAW data.

The source of the image was Google Images, and was a 13MP .jpeg.  I discovered the issue wasn't with Affinity Photo, though.

The issue lies with Apple's "Photos" app.  It automatically downsizes any photos saved to it (the Photos app) from the device in question, with a maximum resolution of the device's screen resolution.  I just was not aware of this until I got such an awesome app as Affinity Photo for iPad.

Now that I'm aware of Apple's app limitation, I've found a few work-arounds.  I can just save to Google Drive, or even iCloud Drive, and import from there.  Or I can import a picture directly to Affinity Photo for iPad, which is great.  Another work-around is to save the picture to Photos on my Mac, then sync it to my iPad through iTunes, and the resolution won't be downsized.

So I'm good.  Doesn't have anything to do with Affinity Photo, so I had marked it "[solved]" but left it up in case anyone else had the same issue.

Thanks for your response, though!

Thanks for the workaround. For the record when I load raw files from Photos on my iPad Air 2, I get full size images when I load into the Polaar app but the downsized version when loading into Affinity. Is this a temporary glitch with Affinity I'm assuming or I'm I missing something? Cheers!

I think we are talking about two different problems here. One seems to be flawed import from an outside source to the iOS Photos app, but I cannot reproduce the issue.

The second is flawed import from iOS Photos to Affinity Photo. The latter only ever imports a preview picture exactly the screen size of the device, in my case 2048x1536. Even when the full size image file resides directly on the device, importing it to Affinity Photo only get me the preview image. Photos taken within the app, on the other hand, appear in original size. Mind you, we are talking about JPEGs—this is not about the already known problem with RAW import to Affinity Photo.

That's extremely odd. I can't reproduce your problem, and you can't reproduce mine.

The problem obviously lies with Apple's Photos app, though.

I took the time and did a couple of tests with different sources of one and the same image. Here's what I got:

First, I copied a photo from the Photos App on my Mac to Google Drive. Checked that it was completely downloaded to my iPad and then tried to import it to Affinity Photo for iPad (“iAP” from here). Result: inconclusive at first, since iAP failed three times retrieving the file from Google Drive as a document provider (from within the Locations sheet) with an error message. But sending it directly from Drive or Google Photos to iAP did the trick—import at full size. Same goes for import from iCloud, whereas iAP was able to access the file on its own from the Locations sheet.

Second, I saved the same image from Google Photos back to the photo library on my iPad and tried to import it from there into iAP. Success! iAP imported it at full size.

Third, I tried to import the original photo (which I ealier had copied to Google Drive) into iAP. Fail! Was imported only as a screen sized preview.

But I doubt that iOS Photos is to blame here since other third party image editing apps work just fine with the same pic right out of the photo library (Polarr, Snapseed, Adobe). I suspect this is a problem with requesting the proper sized file version by iAP, a bug after all. Therefore I'd like to suggest to remove the “solved” mark to keep the developers aware of it.

Well, you've apparently tested it with more apps than I. The only OTHER app I have on my iPad where I can check resolution size is Pixelmator. None of my other apps (besides iAP) show the resolution.

So my tests only are the results of testing two apps. Both of the apps have the exact same results.

That being said, the same photos that show up as reduced resolution on my iPad, ALSO shownup as reduced resolution on the macOS version of Apple Photos.

So if what you are saying is true, then Affinity Photo for iPad, Pixelmator, AND Photos for macOS ALL request the same low resolution image, and are all the same bug.

Interesting. All I'm pointing out is the fact that the common denominator in all these cases is Photos for iOS. Leave it out of the equation, and everything else works as intended.

To make one additional point, why would Photos for macOS request a photo at the size of the device it was originated from, and NOT the current device (my laptop)?

Just got back from checking with Pixelmator. Same thing, the image size is correct. Checked also with Photo library on my Mac—it displays the right size. Now, we need to take into account that we are both working with self-provided samples and thanks to the occlusive nature of iOS it's sometimes hard to determine what really happens. It's not even possible to properly track a file by its name because it's renamend whenever it is handed over to another app.

So I cannot reproduce your issue but nevertheless I see your point. I can only come up with one alternative explanation: Is it possible that the image file you are working with got compromised along the way so that its actual size IS now indeed the screen size of your iPad? Happend to me a couple of times with some apps which were either not able to retrieve the original file or not capable of working with full-sized images in the first place. At first I didn't realize the flaws until I accidentally discovered artifacts and pixelation in the affected files while working with them later. That would account for your last point. For the record, I also checked if the files I claim to be in their original sizes ARE really preserved and not just displayed as full-sized by some info labels: looks good, zooming in did not reveal any signs of degradation. Hopefully the problem evaporates with the developers both of iAP and iOS ironing out the kinks, and thereby introducing new ones ;).

Except that I'm not talking about just ONE image.  So apparently we are seeing two different issues, neither of which the other can reproduce.

Like I said, my "vote" is with Apple Photos for iOS for being the culprit, but that's just me and my issues.  There very well may be a problem with Affinity Photo for iPad in your case, just not in mine.

So, like you originally stated, it does indeed appear that we have to different issues.

I'd suggest you open up your own report that doesn't have the word "[solved]" in the title.  Thanks for the discussion!

Interesting reading..as reported in an earlier post above, my experience is that currently Polaar is the only app I have which opens my raw files from iOS Photos in full size. It even identifies what my raw files are in the thumbnails from Photos. I have Pixelmator but it opens the same files in a smaller resolution. Use to have Lightroom mobile (not a fan of the Adobe business model) and as I recall it would open full size raw files from photos. Haven't tried Snapseed. Using iPad Air 2. For now, either importing the raw files onto my laptop and putting some into iCloud for later import in Affinity for iPad or processing in Iridient to .tifs, upload to my Sansdisk flash drive with lighting connector then directly into Affinity, one at a time (is there a way to batch upload to Affinity?)

I absolutely love this app! Hate the laptop and been counting the months for this to come out. Blows everything else for the iPad out of the water and I'm sure these guys will eventually solve this problem. Cheers!

I've noticed that when importing pictures from the Photo app, it automatically downsizes pictures that are larger than the screen size (2732x2048, iPad Pro 12.9").

Am I missing a way to import the original size? Thanks!

Edit: Grr. Looks like it's the fault of the Photo app. Will try downloading a pic from iCloud and see how that works...

Edit2:  Okay, it works when importing from iCloud.  What's the point, though.  I want to be able to use my iPad to edit documents on the go, not have to sit by my computer to swap pictures back-n-forth.

I have experienced the same issue. Also when I export photos from other apps, they all seem the size of the screen of my iPad Pro 12.9" instead of 18 or 24 megapixel. I think this has something to do with the Photos app placing a placeholder photo of smaller size when uploading the original sized photo to iCloud. I have changed my Photos & Camera settings to download and keep the originals. Maybe that will prevent this from happening again. Will test it out.