rienm

[Fixed] RAW + JPG

After repairing the language bug ( default language is Dutch) I imported an image out of the photos library on my iPad pro 12 ; I stored this picture in RAW+JPG , the filed was openend in the "photo" persona, so the JPG was opened? Where can you find the info regarding the opened file ? It would be nice if you could choose to open the RAW or embedded JPF file

Thanks, Rien

well, I can open a RAW file, but...... I can't do much in the Develop mode , the basic studio opens, but.... I can't change exposure, white balance , shadows/highlights etc. the 3 bars underneath each item stay empty.

In your video I see that it is possible to develop RAW pictures, later I will import RAW images from my camera and see

I am puzzled by Serif's advice that the problem is Photos. Lightroom for iPad and even some non-photo software for the iPad will open the raw files from Photos and will even "share" them with Affinity Photo. See my post in another topic: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/40984-using-affinity-photo-for-ipad/?p=205762

I wish Serif had made it clear in the App Store (and in the introductory videos) that they cannot open raw files from local iPad storage. I would not have purchased had I known of this limitation since Lightroom for iPad — although much less capable — will do "sufficient" processing locally.

Hi Rien,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Raw support isn't fully integrated with Photos app on iOS. It will send a JPEG to Affinity Photo instead of the RAW.

Please check this post from James Ritson for additional info.

Now this is a problem!

As long as you guys haven't developed your own DAM, we, unfortunately, have to rely on Photos for that purpose.

I know that the Photos app on iOS is everything but perfect and we, who try to find a iOS only photography workflow, have to live with many of Apple's limitations for now. But opening the RAW file out of a RAW + JPEG pair, stored in Photos, is not one of those limitations. Snapseed and Polarr, both, for example, reliably open the RAW photo in such cases. Hence, I'm sure it will be easy for you brillant guys to implement proper RAW support in combination with Apple Photos.

Please don't ruin your otherwise truly amazing iPad app by not allowing it to have this essential feature!

Check out my site: https://five.photos

Just one more bizarre curiosity about accessing raw images locally. From Photos, I uploaded to Google Drive one of the raws I had earlier downloaded from my camera's SD card. The 'Upload to Google Drive' option in Photos had no problem sending Google the raw file (not just the JPEG). I then downloaded the same file again to Affininity Photo for iPad from Google Drive. Of course, AP for iPad recognized it as a raw file.

But why is this round-trip necessary?

So, you can't use Affinity as an RAW developer on the road !!!!! Even if you take pictures in RAW only ( not RAW + JPG ) and download them to your iPad (pro in my case) and open the file in Affinity , the embedded jpg will be openend, and the file is cropped ( in my case Orly EM1 mk 2 from 5184x3888 to 3200x2400. And... editing a JPG file is non destructive? 

There are other apps : Filterstorm neue and PS Express, you can choose open the RAW or JPG file; but then also the files are cropped.....

I hoped that I could use the iPad Pro with Affinity as an "professional " photo editing tool on the road...  You cannot , perhaps not an Affinity fault , will change Apple this in IOS 11 ??????

I have the same problem! I can take an Raw photo with my Iphone SE. It is in the Photo App. When I open the Photo in Affinity from there I got only the small jpeg embedded in the dng File.

When I send the DNG from Photo App to Icloud Drive and then get the photo in Affinity from there I get the full file in Raw. Why must this be so complicated?

Hi Five, swrbad, rienm and all,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is just the first release of the application on iOS. There will be more improvements coming and with all changes introduced by iOS11 - both to Photos app and how the files are managed - this will be certainly looked at and improved as we move forward with the development. Bear with us while we get there.

Thanks MEB!

But this doesn't mean that we have to wait until iOS11 will be released for RAW to work with Affinity, right? You will fix this before, right?

As we all pointed out numerous times now, this is essential for us and also possible with the current iOS, as many other apps like Snapseed, Polarr and Lightroom Mobile prove. There's no need to wait for iOS11 for this bug to be fixed.

Check out my site: https://five.photos

Hi,

This bug was fixed in 1.6.2, which is now available on the App Store.

Thanks,

Andy.

Thanks ! Great job.