You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Antonio,

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

You must enable local snapping to help you align nodes.

Here's how to do it: select the Node Tool, go to the context toolbar and press Snap to selected curves button on the Snap section.

Now when you drag nodes Affinity should display guidelines to help you get them aligned.

If you want to align with nodes from a different shape, you must select it too pressing shift and clicking on the shape while you're on the Node Tool.

• 2 years later...

Thank you, I was having the same issue. While the way you outlined is nice, it would really be useful to be able to use the align tools for nodes as well as objects. This is something I used a LOT in Illustrator and I am missing it here. But, again, thank you for the information. 

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, cmyk said:

And why would the align tool not just align 2 selected points of a shape?

Align to what? The bounding box of the shape, some arbitrary reference to other nodes in the shape, something else?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

Align to what? The bounding box of the shape, some arbitrary reference to other nodes in the shape, something else?

To all selected points in reference to the points themselves. Illustrator can do that, it behaves exactly the same as if aligning objects.

1 hour ago, cmyk said:

To all selected points in reference to the points themselves. Illustrator can do that, it behaves exactly the same as if aligning objects.

I haven't used AI in years, and not much then. But I have to infer from the questions that show up from Illustrator users that Illustrator anchor points are handled in an entirely different way that AD nodes. Likewise the lines between them. Because of this difference, getting nodes in a straight line in Affinity requires using the snapping features. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• Staff

Hi cmyk,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

As @gdenby said you have to use the snapping to align nodes within a shape. Do the following: select the Node Tool, go to the context toolbar and make sure the first icon is pressed in the Snap section (Align to nodes of selected curves). Now if you drag a node of an object you can align it with any other node of the same object. If you need to align with nodes from other objects make sure they are selected as well (you can ⇧ (shift)-click another object with the Node Tool to add it to the current selection).

• 2 months later...

Using the node tool, I need to be able to align nodes and distribute nodes within an object. I can't figure out a way to do that.

I don't want to drag nodes one by one to a guide or to snap to another object or point. It is tedious to drag 30 nodes one by one.

I want to select all the nodes and align them vertically to the uppermost node just as I would align objects and then distribute them horizontally, just as I would distribute objects horizontally.

I used to do that in Canvas all the time. I can't figure out how to do it in Designer.

• 1 month later...

Hi,  MineralHillsWorkshop,

I agree, better node handling, dividing lines automatically, etc would be very desirable. But mesh warp and blend are so much more desirable for me. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 2 months later...