You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guidance for using Affinity Photo for iPad

Or more appropriately "how to use". I have an iPad Pro and am excited to buy AP for iPad. But I currently shoot Raw, tether my Canon camera to my Mac, they open in Photos App, I export them to Finder, AP opens them from Finder for editing in the Develop Persona. How am I going to do that on my iPad? If you dont have time to tell me, please advise where I can get a tutorial to do that. I tried but find nothing. TIA

• Staff

Hi PhotoNewbie, I've just posted a thread in the Tutorials forum with the first batch of iPad tutorials, you can see them here: http://affin.co/ipadtuts- there are more coming so stay tuned...

Regarding opening your photos, there's a video called Opening & Saving that will cover the different ways to import your images - you can automatically open most images if they're synced via the Photos app. With raw files, you're best off copying them to your iCloud Drive or equivalent cloud storage (Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, etc) and opening them using Import From Cloud. Raw support isn't fully integrated via the Photos app and it will likely pass the embedded JPEG to Photo rather than the actual raw file.

To see the process of opening a raw file from cloud storage, it's near the beginning of the RAW Editing video.

Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Raw support isn't fully integrated via the Photos app and it will likely pass the embedded JPEG to Photo rather than the actual raw file.

OK. But Lightroom for iPad has no problem opening raw files imported into the Photos app (using my SD card reader dongle). And even Readdle Documents for iPad (a file manager of sorts), although it cannot display raw files, will pass them to Affinity Photo via the "share" extension AS RAW rather than as JPEG. If the raw passes through the share extension I'm really puzzled that it will not open directly!

Serif has created a wonderful product here, but not being able to import from LOCAL storage is a major deficit for me, especially on the road (the only time I need to process raws on the iPad).

I hope your developers will re-address this.

Definitely +1 for the ability to open the RAW file from the Photos app - I would love to be able to edit RAW while travelling and I can't rely on internet connections to upload images to cloud storage - it does seem rather ridiculous that this is the option that's being suggested when many other apps are able to open the RAW file directly. I'm hoping this is actually a bug rather than a feature!

The RAW import issue is of critical importance to me - I always shoot RAW and up to now have been using Lr to import and process RAW files. I'm considering dumping my ageing laptop and moving to iPad Pro only as it is now powerful enough and has sufficient memory to handle all my requirements. Affinity Photo for iPad has all the functionality I would need, unlike Lr mobile. The upcoming iOS 11 has a "Files" app, but at this time it's not clear whether it will allow file transfer from the iPad card reader/USB dongles direct to iCloud, or whether all files with RAW/jpg extensions will be forced through the Photos app. If Affinity does read RAW files imported into the Photos app, then I have no problem and will likely buy it straight away, but there seems to be some doubt whether this is the case or whether it is just the embedded jpg that Affinity reads (see James' post).

Would it be possible for an Affinity developer to provide a definitive answer? If the answer is jpg only, then I would suggest that fixing this should be first priority for Serif!

Alternatively, does anyone have a workaround?

Yep. Affinity not opening RAW files from the Photo Library on my iPad Pro has made this app almost useless for me. It is now like a Ferrari that is only allowed to drive 50 km/h on a race track... This awesome app would do all that I need! ...If it wasn't for this. Now I still have to bring and use my laptop to transfer the RAW photos to the cloud via WiFi/4g if I wanted them to edit on my iPad. I go to places that have no WiFi or 4g... It would be great that I can dump my RAW photos on my iPad Pro via the SD to lightning adapter and edit them in Affinity. That way I can leave my heavy laptop at home when I am out and about, and do all my editing in Affinity Photo on the iPad Pro.

Come on you guys! You got gold in your hands here! Free me from the Adobe prison and my heavy laptop. :)

I'll agree. I did copy my RAWs to Icloud Drive and open from there but its a workaround IMO. The other issue I face is a need for a DAM--I am a CC subscriber and want to leave but have files since 1999 on external drives that I need to access (on my Mac) so am researching that--and have hopes there are also ways to somehow use the Mac and Ipad version together occasionally--that too can be worked around but both are keeping me from unsubbing CC at the moment.

I have confidence this is coming, I just have no idea when, with the Files App coming in IOS 11, it remains to be seen. For those needing to replace an aging laptop, totally understandable you need this ability now. For me, I have a 2015 mbp (hopefully will last a few more years) and was so glad to be shown the workflow of using the icloud drive between the mbp and ipad to get my raw photos into AP for editing on my lap/couch! Just another reason we need Apple to create an iPad with capabilties to really replace a laptop as they keep saying.

OK. But Lightroom for iPad has no problem opening raw files imported into the Photos app (using my SD card reader dongle). And even Readdle Documents for iPad (a file manager of sorts), although it cannot display raw files, will pass them to Affinity Photo via the "share" extension AS RAW rather than as JPEG. If the raw passes through the share extension I'm really puzzled that it will not open directly!

Serif has created a wonderful product here, but not being able to import from LOCAL storage is a major deficit for me, especially on the road (the only time I need to process raws on the iPad).

I hope your developers will re-address this.

Oops! Peter has already suggested a workaround using Readdle Documents. As he says, Readdle will not display the RAWs but will at least transfer them to iCloud. It's a bit messy, but at least it provides a way of getting the job done when all you have is an iPad.

Oops! Peter has already suggested a workaround using Readdle Documents. As he says, Readdle will not display the RAWs but will at least transfer them to iCloud. It's a bit messy, but at least it provides a way of getting the job done when all you have is an iPad.

So if you have Readdle Documents App (RD), Affinity Photo shows in the Share extension In RD?  Then the only remaining task is getting the raw files from the camera to the ipad, which I guess would be done by either a Camera to USB3 Adapter or SD Card Reader Adapter for ipad?

PhotoNewbie: I don't have Affinity Photo yet so can't comment on that, but RD provides a way of moving RAW images imported into Photos (via USB/card reader adapter) to iCloud Drive, from where it can be loaded into Affinity.

Gotcha! Thanks for this very handy workaround

PhotoNewbie: I don't have Affinity Photo yet so can't comment on that, but RD provides a way of moving RAW images imported into Photos (via USB/card reader adapter) to iCloud Drive, from where it can be loaded into Affinity.

Thanks for the work around! :) Let's hope they fix this fast.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, my name is Bernd-Uwe. I'm new to Affinity Photo for iPad and have a couple of questions - to ask later.

I import DNG Raw files from my camera via SD card adapter to my iPad Photos app, then open those in A-Photo. I can open the the RAW files, and in the top of the screen it confirms to be RAW from my Leica Q. However, the photos are just as shot, no auto adjustments of the white balance like in CS Bridge/Photoshop or Snapped on the iPad.

There is that little slider "White Balance", but it does nothing for me. Is there anything I can do to get an initial automatic white balance to fine tune to my liking?

Thanks,

Bernd

• 1 month later...

I may have misunderstood what people are saying, but....

i import RAW images from my camera (via the card reader dongle) into Apple Photos. They appear as RAW files and are marked as such.  I can then import them into Affinity Photo where the appear in the Develop persona and are marked along the top as RAW files.   I can then make adjustments and confirm those. The image then appears in the Photo Persona.

I then export them to Lightroom Mobile as a jpg.   

(In the meantime I've also imported the RAW files directly into LR from Apple Photos, and those have been synced via Adobe CC.)

Sorry if I've misunderstood.