You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for iPad launched at Apple WWDC

I guess there will be a "troubleshooting" topic in due course... But here goes.

I loaded up some Olympus Pen-f raw files via the SD card dongle into Photos on iOS. But when I open them from Affinity for iPad, it seems to find only the JPEGs. I know that the raws are on my iPad because LightRoom for iPad displays them as "raw" in the choose dialog. Affinity opens them in the Photo personna and not in the Develop personna. From the size and lack of any meta-data I'm pretty sure they are the embedded JPEGs. A .DNG file downloaded from Dropbox opens immediatedly in the Develop personna and displays a "RAW:" tag with image info in the top left of the Develop screen.

Am I holding it wrong?

I am having the same problem with DNG, Fuji X files and NEF

I think Michail probably doesn't realise that the majority of people who edit photos are Not professional artists...

I must say before I had an iPad I only saw people playing games on it or doing silly things and thought it seemed a bit excessive, but now I have one, I freaking love it! I don't play games on it, its just the most flexible awesome repository of information, entertainment, design, multitasking...just everything! I have stopped taking my laptop when I travel now, which is a load off (literally) - and no, I don't see it as a desktop replacement, more like enhancement! -

And now being able to have such a capable photo editing app is wonderful. What I have come to realise with professional editing programs is that: big or small, it does the job well..that's what people around me don't realise. They might say "oooh I don't want to swap heads around, I just want to take nice photos of my dog and make them better" well..good luck using some free, non-intuitive, buggy, ugly interface that makes you want to stop using it. Yes layers and such are a bit of a learning curve but the payoff is enormous. It looks complicated but its like going for a walk...you can either turn back after a short distance or continue up the mountain to the top..its all there. and besides, I don't want 3 apps that do things averagely when Affinity seem to pour their heart and soul into their work and make such an awesome app! I don't even like saying 'app' for this because it kinda cheapens it, but really, I respect what my iPad can do for me, and I want to respect it back by only putting the best apps on it.

I'm all in for Affinity - breaking those Adobe chains is going to be a fantastic moment (last one is the publishing program then I'm free!) and I don't directly make a penny out of my work in these apps/programs, I just require the most intuitive, flexible working environment for design/photos every day for normal everyday editing.

Before iOS 11, I felt that the iPad Pro represented a huge lost opportunity.  The iPad could be so much more than it is. iOS 11 signals that Apple has suddenly began to see what I was saying.  The iPad Pro has been ANTI productivity for all of it's existence.  The Apple Pencil was the first sign that Apple needed to make this device much more useful.  iOS 11 really seems to be about productivity.  Apple basically robbed Samsung's Note series blind.  I have the Note Pro 12 and an iPad Pro.  I had imagined that maybe the iPad Pro could actually replace the Note Pro but that didn't happen at all.  The only productive thing I did with the iPad Pro was use Procreate.  For everything else, I continued to use the Note Pro 12 because it had all these wonderful productivity functions.  Now Apple has copied a good chunk of them.  The iPad Pro is finally looking like it's on a path to general productivity.  It already has a lot of power.  It's super smooth.  All that was missing was the scope of what it was "allowed" to do.  Apple may be removing the artificial barriers to productivity. They risk greater loss of sales if they don't.

First impressions - a very impressive piece of software - well worth the price and incredibly powerful - it's going to become an app I use regularly in my photography workflow especially when travelling.

One thing that confuses me slightly is the way it handles lens corrections compared to the Mac version. On the Mac, RAW images from my compact camera (Canon Powershot G5 X) are heavily distorted on wider angles on import (using the Affinity RAW engine), but can be corrected in the develop persona. The camera is not supported by the Lensfun guys so I know autocorrect shouldn't work, but if I open the same images on the iPad version, they're corrected and need no further adjustment. Is the iPad app simply using the Apple Core RAW engine to autocorrect? If so, this is strange as selecting that on the Mac version produces some very strange results in Photo.

I'm also noticing that raw files (Canon CR2) imported directly to the iPad are loading as the embedded jpgs in Photo - it would be great if I could edit the raw file directly as others have pointed out.

Thanks in advance...

First impressions - a very impressive piece of software - well worth the price and incredibly powerful - it's going to become an app I use regularly in my photography workflow especially when travelling.

One thing that confuses me slightly is the way it handles lens corrections compared to the Mac version. On the Mac, RAW images from my compact camera (Canon Powershot G5 X) are heavily distorted on wider angles on import (using the Affinity RAW engine), but can be corrected in the develop persona. The camera is not supported by the Lensfun guys so I know autocorrect shouldn't work, but if I open the same images on the iPad version, they're corrected and need no further adjustment. Is the iPad app simply using the Apple Core RAW engine to autocorrect? If so, this is strange as selecting that on the Mac version produces some very strange results in Photo.

I'm also noticing that raw files (Canon CR2) imported directly to the iPad are loading as the embedded jpgs in Photo - it would be great if I could edit the raw file directly as others have pointed out.

Thanks in advance...

Sorry - ignore the RAW engine question - double checked on the Mac and believe there was an update to the Apple Core engine missing - the CR2s from the Canon G5 X are now loading without distortion.

I am interested in buying the iPad version before the price goes up. What I am wondering, is the app fully functional without the apple pencil? It is a very expensive tool for someone who just likes to play around with photos/photography. I was hoping I could get an alternative pencil to use, but it seems that other brands are not supported.   :wacko:

Can someone please help me out?

Thanks!  :)

I can only confirm this. Affinity Photo works as perfectly on the iPad Air 2 as it works on the Pro. Sure, the Pencil adds another level of precision that you won’t get on the Air (for instance, since the brush stabilizers have not been implemented yet, you won’t get as smooth curves and loops … think of calligraphy and the like … as you will get on the Pro), but this is due to the hardware. For mere photo editing as well as broad-brush painting, it feels virtually the same on both devices …  :)

At first I was surprised and excited to see the launch of the iPad version. And, I would've thought it'd be a no-brainer for me. Yet, I'm somewhat hesitant. 

I've owned the Mac version of Photo and Designer for a couple years now I think. I've watched most of the tutorial videos for Photo, but I'm likely several behind. I love what I discover Photo is capable of, but when it comes time to actually do any real editing, I keep falling back to Photoshop. Not because I think it's all that much better, but because I've used it for at least a couple decades now and I know it. Haven't really taken to Photo, but I desperately want to move on from Adobe and be 100% in the Affinity camp. 

I've also found editing my images on the iPad to be a MUCH more pleasant experience overall, compared to being tethered to a laptop or desktop using Photoshop. Granted, not quite as precise and difficult to calibrate anything with much certainty. Yet, I find Snapseed mostly gets the job done very well for most of my needs. It's also a very stable and mature product. I also use FilterStorm Neue some as well, which is also very good, mature, and stable.

How does Affinity Photo iPad edition compare to using Snapseed? I'd be using it on an iPad Air 2. Will likely upgrade to the new Pro ipads, but will wait for more reviews before I buy one. 

What are the main advantages to using Affinity Photo iPad over Snapseed and FilterStorm? 

These apps are no where near the file size as AP's 1.2GB size. Why is the app size so large? 

Also hesitant about all the crashing reports and some RAW files not being recognized.

Even though I've watched most of the tutorials for the Mac version of AP, if I don't use what I learned all the time, I forget it. I haven't found Affinity Photo to really be all that intuitive coming from Photoshop, so when I do force myself to go back to it after a couple months, I've forgotten how to do anything in it. 

I'm curious if perhaps having the pleasure of editing on an iPad, using Affinity Photo iPad, would keep me in practice with the UI so that when I need to use the desktop version I won't have forgotten everything. Are they very similar or nearly identical in overall function and UI layout? 

Anyone know how long the sale will last?

Thanks LilleG! I have the iPad Air2 as well and I didn't know that it didn't support the pencil! So glad I asked about it. Also glad the all the features seem to work without the pencil!

Just an FYI there are other pens that the iPad Air 2 supports...

http://www.adonit.net/jot/pixel/

The adonit range look nice and would be my choice after the Apple Pencil

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

At first I was surprised and excited to see the launch of the iPad version. And, I would've thought it'd be a no-brainer for me. Yet, I'm somewhat hesitant. 

Even though I've watched most of the tutorials for the Mac version of AP, if I don't use what I learned all the time, I forget it. I haven't found Affinity Photo to really be all that intuitive coming from Photoshop, so when I do force myself to go back to it after a couple months, I've forgotten how to do anything in it. 

I'm curious if perhaps having the pleasure of editing on an iPad, using Affinity Photo iPad, would keep me in practice with the UI so that when I need to use the desktop version I won't have forgotten everything. Are they very similar or nearly identical in overall function and UI layout? 

There are many in a similar situation, especially if you've been using a different app for a while and of course a different work flow. For me, It was an easy switch and made a lot more sense in workflow, although I wasn't a heavy use of Ps I am now in Photo.

What may help is to recreate a project, something you did in Ps create in Photo, besides the tutorials ask away on the forum. I've not looked back.

The iOS and desktop versions are very similar in workflow and design, it took me a little while to play around with it first then I did what I suggested you do, I recreated a project from desktop to iOS and it was a joy. There is also a great little help icon in the bottom left, one tap and arrows pop up indicating what each icon and section does...

I often hear people going back to Android and Windows purely because of not knowing how to or they find it easier, I would be the same going across to Windows from Mac OS. A bit of patience and time is all that's required.

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

it would be nice but probably not now. this app is born for Apple and the success depends also from Apple Store exposure, this is a business and the applepencil 2 is coming :)

BTW: I can't draw without the tilt feature, the apple pencil is pretty good.

Kinda disapoointed as Affinity Photo on iOS will be of little value to me, now.

The Apple Pencil is NOT a ggod match for me. I don't like the cheap slippery plastic feel! I don't like the barrel diameter or length of it!

I don't like the stupid, kludgy way it charges. I just do not like it!

I don't care too much about the tilt feature. I don't miss this too much on a tablet device!

I don't see why Affinity Photo can't support multiple stylii support in addition to Apple Pencil support

ProCreate does! SketchBook Pro does! Pixelmator does! Tayasui Sketches and Memopad does! Medibang Paint does!

ArtRage does! Concepts design app does! Astropad does!

3rd party stylus makers supply the stylus SDK for drawing apps.

I don't see the issue here.

I may have to just keep using Astropad on my iPad with Affinity Photo on my iMac and continue to use Affinity Photo on my iMac remotely.

Even if Apple does release an Apple Pencil 2, if it doesn't improve significantly, I still won't be purchasing one.

And Pencil 2 better be able to work with older iPad Pro models.

I don't want to use my fingers with Affinity Photo for iOS.

I just purchased a finepoint capacitive stylus. No palm rejection, though.

I may have to resort to using it which is far less than ideal for my needs

Hi skiphunt,

I advise you to take a look at the Official Affinity Photo (iPad) Tutorials to get an idea of how it works compared to the desktop version.

Watched a couple of the videos and see AP iPad does include the 360VR still editing feature. Is this the very same as in the desktop version? If so, I don't have anything on the iPad that does that and that feature is certainly attractive on it's own.

I saw that you can save in the .afphoto native format to continue your edit on the desktop AP. Does that go the other way too, ie. save a .afphoto desktop project with layers and such, then open the same file on the iPad version? I would assume so, but I just want to confirm since there are some features in the desktop version that aren't in the iPad version. 

In the share option for exporting, is AirDrop supported? Or, is there a direct way to go straight from the iPad export and into desktop AP? Or, do you need to save somewhere first and then open separately in AP after you've saved?

Lastly, can you give a rough estimate how long the launch discount will last? There are some pricey sound apps I wanted to pick up too and was hoping maybe there'd be some discounted iTunes card deals coming up for father's day ;)

Lastly, can you give a rough estimate how long the launch discount will last? There are some pricey sound apps I wanted to pick up too and was hoping maybe there'd be some discounted iTunes card deals coming up for father's day ;)

I've seen in a couple of places (sorry, I don't have a link for you) that the launch discount is set to end on June 19; i.e. two weeks from the launch date.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I am so impressed with this new Photo for the iPad so thought I would write this for those that are hesitating to buy the app. It is totally worth the 20 bucks.

I needed to have my AirPods looked at so went into the local Apple Store, knew I would need to wait a bit so I took my iPad Pro with me.

To pass the time (I had already uploaded 5 bracketed images to iCloud) I decided to use Stacking. James had done a tutorial for the mac where he used two stacking modes so my photo was of a yellow mailbox (mostly in focus), with green foliage behind(mostly out of focus)

I used maximum, then merged visible,

Then minimum, then merged visible,

Then used blend range to enhance to two layers.

Merged visible.

Used select with the green to create a selection, refined, of the background creating a mask in channels. Space channel, named.

Then select to pixel, invert, spare channel mask for mailbox.

Did some adjustments but could not figure out how to mask them directly (but now I know how to do it )

The guys at the Apple Store would waunder by to watch and were impressed.

Saved it to iCloud.

The app did not crash.

The reason that I'm telling you my story is to let you know that this app is frick'n awesome and is worth 20 bucks, actually in Canada it cost me 30+ bucks (taxes added).

Take the leap and help them to build out this app.

Congratulation for the very great program.

I would not want to miss Affinity Photo on my 12.9" iPad Pro anymore. I have transferred my image processing from the PC mostly to the iPad. Sitting on the couch and retouching pictures is a great pleasure for me. However, you have to get used to the new user interface. But the tutorials help a lot.

Best regards to the developer team

Win10 HP i7 - AD (Win), AP (Win), APub (Win), AD (iPad), AP (iPad),
Affinity Photo for iPad Pro - the best app I ever had
excuse my bad English