You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for iPad launched at Apple WWDC

To be clear it will only run on an iPad Air 2, iPad 2017 (version 5) and iPad Pro 9.7-inch 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch.

It will NOT run on ANY iPad Mini (1,2,3 OR 4) (despite what the app store automatic text says). It requires a 9.7 inch screen, 64-bit processor and Metal (which the iPad Air 1 does not have)

it is true, I tried with my ipads

Perfect on iPad pro but incompatible with iPad air (1), installed but not available, very strange behavior, considering that some users can buy it without checking.

It's a nasty surprise and you only find out after spending money and installed 

After a long waiting this is a bad unboxing experience :)

from appstore

affinity_phptp_ipad.png

it is true, I tried with my ipads

Perfect on iPad pro but incompatible with iPad air (1), installed but not available, very strange behavior, considering that some users can buy it without checking.

It's a nasty surprise and you only find out after spending money and installed 

A bad unboxing experience :)

sssh don't tell apple

they just released their BEST App Store YET with such awesome features  :blink:

To be clear it will only run on an iPad Air 2, iPad 2017 (version 5) and iPad Pro 9.7-inch 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch.

It will NOT run on ANY iPad Mini (1,2,3 OR 4) (despite what the app store automatic text says). It requires a 9.7 inch screen, 64-bit processor and Metal (which the iPad Air 1 does not have)

Thanks for your reply.

However, I am confused. Apple A7 is a 64 bit processor. Metal is used in iOS devices since Apple A7, which is also included in iPad mini 2.

EDIT:

Apple even seems to support iOS 11 for iPad mini 2, which uses Metal 2.

However, I am confused. Apple A7 is a 64 bit processor. Metal is used in iOS devices since Apple A7, which is also included in iPad mini 2.

I think they used a safety range for processor power and memory and not the classic critical requirements. Managing a multi layer project is not for all devices.  this app is born for ipad pro 9/12 ( better with 4gb ram on 12")  this is a fact.

Hi!

@ MEB, I have the same problem as torkjellmidtgaard. I'm on a iPad pro, but I use a danish version of iOS. If I try to set the language, as you told torkjellmidtgaard the app just quits. So it is not possible to try to set the languarge i the app. I guss that you enter the preferencer by the cogwheel in right upper corner.

I'm looking forward to try the app out. The tutorials looks great.

Edit: after I selected English as a iOS language, I was able to set the language to English, in the app. It was set to Default. Now the app doesn't crash after I reset the iOS language back to danish.

• Staff

Thanks for your reply.

EDIT:

Apple even seems to support iOS 11 for iPad mini 2, which uses Metal 2.

As I said " It requires a 9.7 inch screen" an iPad Mini (1,2,3,4) is too small for the controls to be usable even though the hardware of 3 & 4 are up to the task.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Hi Lemac,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Change your iPad system language to English UK, then set Affinity Photo to English as well (default), finally set the iPad language back to Danish. Does it fix the issue?

For now you have to keep the Affinity Photo language set to English to avoid the crash. There will be a fix for this soon.

Although i congratulate you on the release for the iPad version, can you share something about the how the development teams are allocated within Sherif?

Seeing an iPad release kinda stings with me seeing the poor state the Affinity Photo release 1.5 is in (and 1.6 betas not showing much improvement).

If it are separate development teams, then I have nothing to whine about. If resources actually went from Affinity Designer / Photo windows towards an iPad version I have serious doubts about the future commitment to that project...

That being said, I don't use the Mac version of course, is Affinity Photo 1.5 and 1.6 beta having as much issues on Mac as it is on Windows?

Now the golden question: when is Affinity Designer for IPad coming??

Well, Serif told us: "We are going to focus on completing the full suite (including Publisher) on the Mac … after that we will look into other platforms”. Perhaps, when the gold price is 1,666.66 US$.  ;)

I guess there will be a "troubleshooting" topic in due course... But here goes.

I loaded up some Olympus Pen-f raw files via the SD card dongle into Photos on iOS. But when I open them from Affinity for iPad, it seems to find only the JPEGs. I know that the raws are on my iPad because LightRoom for iPad displays them as "raw" in the choose dialog. Affinity opens them in the Photo personna and not in the Develop personna. From the size and lack of any meta-data I'm pretty sure they are the embedded JPEGs. A .DNG file downloaded from Dropbox opens immediatedly in the Develop personna and displays a "RAW:" tag with image info in the top left of the Develop screen.

Am I holding it wrong?

Hi,

I installed the iOS 11 beta and, when I select « import from Cloud » on Affinity Photo, I can’t select Dropbox, iCloud Drive is the only service available.

Does anyone knows has the same issue or know how to fix this?