You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for iPad launched at Apple WWDC

No, currently the FFT Denoise filter is not available in the iPad version.

That's a pity: the FFT Denoise filter is one of my favourite features in the desktop version. What else is missing??

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Guys, I don't think I'm overstating it when I say this is a GAME CHANGER - you have put professional, desktop photo editing (and drawing) power in a hand-held device. Bravo! 2-touch hair isolation? WHAT?? This app is just extraordinary, and if you can bring Designer desktop to the same level I will finally break up with the Big A after 27 years.

Thank you!!

Now i have to go out and buy a 12.9" iPad Pro....

I love the way you say you "have to" buy a 12.9" model, Ronny, as if you couldn't make do with a 10.5" or even a 9.7". :D And then there's the (admittedly nitpicking!) point that, thanks to the joys of online shopping, you don't actually have to go out to buy it.... :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

If Affinity Designer for iPad is released, and if it's anything like Affinity Photo, the first purchase button pushed will be me.

That would make it possible for me to go on vacation!

Ha, I will be the next one. The vector editing tools of Affinity Photo for iPad is quite basic, but the app is still mind-blowing!

I wish we could have direct access to iCloud's Affinity folder and open/save photos.

iOS Swift Developer  SwiftUI Designer and Animator @ SwiftUI Masterclass Course

robert-petras-ios-developer.png

Congrats ! Brad made quite a positive review of it !  :)   (a guy kind of known in the matter of reviewing drawing apps and drawing devices, with kind of a fresh, not too geeky approach, but who has certain good press )

https://youtu.be/XL2Dl0BXdWQ

I for one can't work in any screen smaller than 23 inches (so I'm not experiencing all this excitement about the iOS app), partly due to tired eyesight (too much for my age) but also as feel constrained... But knowing what applications are available for the iPad in a pro level (if any), I do understand why this is quite a big deal for them (ipad users) .  :) (was an ipad user for long)

The complexity he sees is just the one you see in any pro application. He does not say it really as a con, but admitting the app has much more depth than the regular toy app you usually get there. (there are a pair of brilliant exceptions, of course.)

I do agree with him, focus in illustration is what... ehm...we illustrators prefer  ;)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

What do you mean by this? Importing raw files straight from the ipads photo library is already possible and is up to affinity to implement. It's been possible to do so for quite a while in Lightroom mobile for iOS and works very well.

Am I misunderstanding what you mean?

I read something similar in another thread where someone wanted to be able to import several items at once and someone else said once again that it was up to apple to implement that feature, but yet again it has been possible in LR mobile for a long time. Are you just spreading information about stuff that you have no knowledge of or am I actually misunderstanding you? If that's the case I'm sorry.

If not, then get your facts straight.

Importing raw files straight from your photo library is possible in other apps, hence it must be possible to implement and should very much have been so before the release.

this is a good example 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/41813-raw/

IOS forces users to waste a lot of time, a micro SD (or a USB connection) solves all the problems. A professional could not work in a simple way, it's also a gain problem.

BTW: the incoming IOS11 introduces files folders   :)

Yes I agree, lightroom IOS is pretty goob but is quite limited on ios. You should compare work experience between IOS and WIN surface. I'm a mac user, in my opinion a macbook Air is better than an ipad pro 12 for the RAW editing on the go.
I have the surface pro, the ipad pro12 and some OS machines, the most versatle is the surface, the most usable is the macbook air and the most light is ipad pro (and I love it with AP), depend on your needs.

I saw the event at work and saw the presentation of the app. I got home bought it downloaded and now I'm waiting for an update because its not working properly on the iPad Pro 9.7..Ain't that a b***h! I think we "your customers" deserve extra goodies if and when you have the update. cause for $20.00 and not working product its not looking good for you the developers.

Oh it is inevitable that the iPad or some other tablet will replace the Laptop and even the desktop in very short order, it will happen. Technological advancements move at lightning speeds and while today's tablets may not have the brute muscle of their Laptop/Desktop cousins at the moment that does not mean that it will remain that way, give it another 2-5 years and we will see who is right. I am definitely with Cook on this and his earlier assessments that the days of the Laptops are numbered.

Except I don't recall Cook ever saying such a thing. His words if I recall correctly, were more like "these products can replace a laptop for SOME people".  And honestly, until we see physical external storage that doesn't depend on being wireless, creating an ad-hoc network to connect, and needing to recharge a battery, it will NEVER replace a true laptop. Not to mention having a built in keyboard. You cannot call something it is not. The keyboard/mouse/trackpad are very specific tools which are needed to interface with items that require extremely fine and precise pixels on the display. Said pixels which are in greater abundance and are a lot closer together,  vs a tablet, where icons are the norm due to space constraints.

Two years you say? I will bet you all of my stock options vs yours or your annual salary, that will not happen. Betting man are you?   :P

Doug

this is a good example 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/41813-raw/

IOS forces users to waste a lot of time, a micro SD (or a USB connection) solves all the problems. A professional could not work in a simple way, it's also a gain problem.

BTW: the incoming IOS11 introduces files folders   :)

Yes I agree, lightroom IOS is pretty goob but is quite limited on ios. You should compare work experience between IOS and WIN surface. I'm a mac user, in my opinion a macbook Air is better than an ipad pro 12 for the RAW editing on the go.
I have the surface pro, the ipad pro12 and some OS machines, the most versatle is the surface, the most usable is the macbook air and the most light is ipad pro (and I love it with AP), depend on your needs.

I totally agree with your assessments here.  I wonder though, about the new file/folder system in iOS 11. I'm betting that it will be strictly cloud based and not machine local. That, would be like a step forward and two giant steps back, UNLESS they implemented something like Dropbox, where you don't need to store files locally on your desktop machine's drive, and only via the web.

Of course, the better solution, as you noted, would be to have an actual physical storage device for these things. But without a non-proprietary way to hook up to such a thing, it's already a dead in the water idea. Apple will NEVER let its users have access to a physical file system. Even if root is hidden. Still too much of as security risk.

I've used the Sandisk Media Drive for a while, and it's a pretty cool solution, but at the end of the day, its battery will eventually die, and you also have to make sure that it is charged before really working with it. Not very elegant or practical IMO.

Doug