You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for iPad launched at Apple WWDC

I'm also noticing that raw files (Canon CR2) imported directly to the iPad are loading as the embedded jpgs in Photo - it would be great if I could edit the raw file directly as others have pointed out.

Thanks in advance...

this is a request for Apple and not fo Affinity team. :)

Apple "don't" allow you to manager your contents without specific tools. this is the most important difference between  Apple and the rest of the tech world

• Staff

For those who missed it....

Here's a Facebook clip of our MD presenting Affinity Photo for iPad which is 100 minutes in to this WWDC video

#proud

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

So, I no longer need to be "sold" on this... just waiting for an iTunes card deal. ;)

I didn't know the image stacking stuff was brought over to the iPad version too. Splendid! 

I'd say to date, 95% of my image editing on the iPad has been for web delivery only. For anything related to prints or printed publishing, I always waited until I got back to the desktop. Always seemed redundant too, and have always wanted to edit ONLY on the iPad and be done with it. Looks like that might actually be possible now with Affinity Photo for iPad. 

Just have a few questions, I currently have an iPad Air 2 and won't upgrade to the Pro right away (likely toward the end of Summer I expect). So, the videos and demos done using the iPad Pro look like impressive performance to me. Will the performance on my current iPad Air 2 be very disappointing/sluggish by comparison? 

What would also be cool, is if you could somehow use your iPad Affinity linked wirelessly with the desktop Affinity, in concert with each other to get the benefit of touch control with the use of a larger, calibrated screen. Anything like that coming? 

I also asked a question that hasn't been answered yet regarding the roundtrip .afphoto files. I know you can export .afphoto projects and pick up where you left via desktop Affinity, but can you go the other way too? ie. if I start an editing file with multiple edits, fx, and layers using desktop Affinity.. then export out as .afphoto... can I then import that file into Affinity Photo iPad with all of my layers, fx, edits still intact and pick up where I left off on the desktop?

Watched a couple of the videos and see AP iPad does include the 360VR still editing feature. Is this the very same as in the desktop version?

In the share option for exporting, is AirDrop supported? Or, is there a direct way to go straight from the iPad export and into desktop AP? Or, do you need to save somewhere first and then open separately in AP after you've saved?

For those who missed it....

Here's a Facebook clip of our MD presenting Affinity Photo for iPad which is 100 minutes in to this WWDC video

#proud

I never expected to see Ash on stage, great surprise.

Could it be that he come to visit the forum and tell us more about the event? How he felt and how Apple saw Affinity Photo for iPad? Maybe it's just me but he seemed to be in a bit of a hurry there; nervous, perhaps?

Best regards!

• Staff

Could it be that he come to visit the forum and tell us more about the event? How he felt and how Apple saw Affinity Photo for iPad? Maybe it's just me but he seemed to be in a bit of a hurry there; nervous, perhaps?

Pehaps, but he's having some time off at the moment I think. If he drops by I will ask him.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Ok, yeah... the video is nice and all that, but can someone from Serif answer my Affinity Photo iPad questions in my previous posting? Yes, I watched the appropriate videos as you originally brushed me off to do, and my questions aren't answered there. Or, if this is the wrong thread for questions about the Affinity Photo iPad app, please let me know where they should be directed. Thanks.

1. Just have a few questions, I currently have an iPad Air 2 and won't upgrade to the Pro right away (likely toward the end of Summer I expect). So, the videos and demos done using the iPad Pro look like impressive performance to me. Will the performance on my current iPad Air 2 be very disappointing/sluggish by comparison?

2. What would also be cool, is if you could somehow use your iPad Affinity linked wirelessly with the desktop Affinity, in concert with each other to get the benefit of touch control with the use of a larger, calibrated screen. Anything like that coming?

3. I know you can export .afphoto projects and pick up where you left via desktop Affinity, but can you go the other way too? ie. if I start an editing file with multiple edits, fx, and layers using desktop Affinity.. then export out as .afphoto... can I then import that file into Affinity Photo iPad with all of my layers, fx, edits still intact and pick up where I left off on the desktop?

4. Watched a couple of the videos and see AP iPad does include the 360VR still editing feature. Is this the very same set of 360VR features as in the desktop version?

5. In the share option for exporting, is AirDrop supported? Or, is there another direct way to go straight from the iPad export and into desktop AP? Or, do you need to save somewhere first and then open separately in AP after you've saved? 

We're genuinely really sorry about that - there's no way in the App Store to limit it to Air 2 or greater, so we tried to make it clear on the description that it only "supports iPad Pro, iPad Air 2 and iPad (early 2017). Please note that older iPads are not supported" - but I realise that if the 'compatibility' section at the bottom lists your device, you just buy it without reading the text... Again, we whole-heartedly apologise, we tried to do everything we could with the frameworks and mechanisms we have available, but there is currently no way to specify simply Air 2 and above. The reason is just down to hardware support for particular Metal features that isn't there in the original iPad Air :(

Thanks for you understanding,

Matt

FWIW, I made the same mistake. Bought the software and then realized it would not run on my iPad Air. Thankfully, the new 105 iPad Pro arrives next week. ;)

Pehaps, but he's having some time off at the moment I think. If he drops by I will ask him.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Probably the stage time was limited to a few x minutes and so he had to speed up the demo a little to be able to properly showcase a couple features.

That's also another possibility, because...

I think he did very well and was not in a real hurry

He better was "a bit" nervous given this optotunity lol

If you want to see ash on fire you should watch the last AD video where he goes over the feature of AD 1.5, that was a legit pace

Here is the WWDC talk for reference

https://youtu.be/ChLfAPq5bVU

I watched that video, and that was my reference for my comment. :P

In fact, that's one of my favourites.

Best regards!

this is a request for Apple and not fo Affinity team. :)

Apple "don't" allow you to manager your contents without specific tools. this is the most important difference between  Apple and the rest of the tech world

What do you mean by this? Importing raw files straight from the ipads photo library is already possible and is up to affinity to implement. It's been possible to do so for quite a while in Lightroom mobile for iOS and works very well.

Am I misunderstanding what you mean?

I read something similar in another thread where someone wanted to be able to import several items at once and someone else said once again that it was up to apple to implement that feature, but yet again it has been possible in LR mobile for a long time. Are you just spreading information about stuff that you have no knowledge of or am I actually misunderstanding you? If that's the case I'm sorry.

If not, then get your facts straight.

Importing raw files straight from your photo library is possible in other apps, hence it must be possible to implement and should very much have been so before the release.

Why is Serif wasting its resources on a minority of users? Is there nothing more important to do? Serious image editors do not wipe their fingers over a toy surface!!

This is such a disrespect for not only the cross-platform paradigm, but a direct-manipulation approach as well, which could genuinely offer quicker and more efficient workflow.

One could be just as arrogant if they were to insist on iOS/macOS-exclusive Affinity apps so as to better distribute and tap on resources.

In no way would I ever imply that an iPad could be a desktop/laptop replacement in terms of what robust apps can do on those platforms. In fact, I had a "debate" with one of my best friends last night about this. He's a graphic illustrator. He made the mistake of saying that the iPad is finally going to be able to be a replacement for a "computer", to which I scoffed.

My issue with this is that there's no real interoperability between the two systems, and with very good reason. I'd get into it, but have to leave. Suffice it to say, editing on the iPad, IMO.. Should be looked at as an intermediary. I can do a lot of work on files while in transit, and if AP is able to sync the changes I make in its native file format, to my desktop, that means I'm being a lot more efficient with my workflow. I shot an event the other day. If I was able to retouch skin, crop etc while on the train home, imagine... I get home, sit down on the couch, continue to cull and edit, all the while, these files are being uploaded to a server. Then I get to the desktop, and said photos are able to sync, and I finish up there when I'm ready.

More later...

Oh it is inevitable that the iPad or some other tablet will replace the Laptop and even the desktop in very short order, it will happen. Technological advancements move at lightning speeds and while today's tablets may not have the brute muscle of their Laptop/Desktop cousins at the moment that does not mean that it will remain that way, give it another 2-5 years and we will see who is right. I am definitely with Cook on this and his earlier assessments that the days of the Laptops are numbered.

AAACK! Doesn't run on my iPad Air :(

MattP! I thought u had AD running on an iPhone 4?! What happened? Now i have to go out and buy a 12.9" iPad Pro....

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

Ok, yeah... the video is nice and all that, but can someone from Serif answer my Affinity Photo iPad questions in my previous posting? Yes, I watched the appropriate videos as you originally brushed me off to do, and my questions aren't answered there. Or, if this is the wrong thread for questions about the Affinity Photo iPad app, please let me know where they should be directed. Thanks.

1. Just have a few questions, I currently have an iPad Air 2 and won't upgrade to the Pro right away (likely toward the end of Summer I expect). So, the videos and demos done using the iPad Pro look like impressive performance to me. Will the performance on my current iPad Air 2 be very disappointing/sluggish by comparison?

2. What would also be cool, is if you could somehow use your iPad Affinity linked wirelessly with the desktop Affinity, in concert with each other to get the benefit of touch control with the use of a larger, calibrated screen. Anything like that coming?

3. I know you can export .afphoto projects and pick up where you left via desktop Affinity, but can you go the other way too? ie. if I start an editing file with multiple edits, fx, and layers using desktop Affinity.. then export out as .afphoto... can I then import that file into Affinity Photo iPad with all of my layers, fx, edits still intact and pick up where I left off on the desktop?

4. Watched a couple of the videos and see AP iPad does include the 360VR still editing feature. Is this the very same set of 360VR features as in the desktop version?

5. In the share option for exporting, is AirDrop supported? Or, is there another direct way to go straight from the iPad export and into desktop AP? Or, do you need to save somewhere first and then open separately in AP after you've saved? 

Hi skiphunt,

1. The iPad Air 2 uses an A8X chip, 2GB RAM while the new iPad Pro uses the recent A10X Fusion chip (and probably 3 or 4 GB RAM), so it's a little slower as expected but this also depends on the type of work you do/size of the images you work with. It's hard to give you a concise reply here. If you work with Live Filters it will certainly have impact. Take a look at this thread for users feedback.

2. I don't have enough info to reply this one.

3. Yes, Affinity files are cross-platform compatible. If there's issues let us know.

4. Still have to check this one, sorry.

5. No. Airdrop (share) is supported but the file is sent to a folder (Downloads) on your desktop. If you export the file to iCloud Drive you can also access/open it from the respective folder on your Mac. Currently there's no way to send a file directly from Photo for iPad to Photo for Mac. Affinity Photo doesn't support Hands Off functionality at this point.