You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for iPad launched at Apple WWDC

Congratulations Serif with the advent of a new product! Quality and affordable programs for both home and professional use! Good luck to you!

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

A nice surprise to see Ash presenting Affinity Photo at WWDC. I hope this visibility will bring new Affinity apps customers.

I’ll surely get the app, then I’ll replace my old third generation iPad with the new 10.5 inch version.

I was so excited this finally arrived  :D  - unfortunately, I am still using an iPad 4.  :(  I am still excited about this app, :wub:  but will have to wait for funds to somehow miraculously appear so I can pick up an iPad Pro. :mellow:

Why is Serif wasting its resources on a minority of users? Is there nothing more important to do? Serious image editors do not wipe their fingers over a toy surface!!

And only use dslrs because mirrorless is for amateurs

Generally only mac is pro because anyone else cannot produce good quality work, but only using dark interface

Seriously, the only thing that limits this app now is batch capabilities (which this is true for mac as well) and direct transfer via handoff, it is a great alternative for certain workflows without the need of an expensive cintiq

• Staff

Hi,

I installed the iOS 11 beta and, when I select « import from Cloud » on Affinity Photo, I can’t select Dropbox, iCloud Drive is the only service available.

Does anyone knows has the same issue or know how to fix this?

Hi Charlie,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Check this video tutorial (00:50s) to learn how to add other cloud services besides the default iCloud Drive.

Let me know if you still have trouble.

Any chance of Affinity Photo for iOS supporting 3rd party stylii even on iPad Pro?

I don't use or like an Apple Pencil.

I use an Adonit stylus on all my iPad models.

it would be nice but probably not now. this app is born for Apple and the success depends also from Apple Store exposure, this is a business and the applepencil 2 is coming   :)

BTW: I can't draw without the tilt feature, the apple pencil is pretty good.

Hi Charlie,

Check this video tutorial (00:50s) to learn how to add other cloud services besides the default iCloud Drive.

Let me know if you still have trouble.

Hi,

I had checked this video before posting, but the « locations » button doesn’t exist anymore in iOS 11.

When you tap « import from Cloud », it now opens the Files app, and you only get « On my iPad » and « iCloud drive » options there. When you edit the locations, there is no other cloud options available...

It looks nice, but it is buggy: to lighten shadows is not working. An essential funktion for me.

Affinity Photo for iPad will get a lot of negative reviews because of the wrong compatibility-list in the App Store. Also the hints for iPad mini are missing in the description. Most people will overlook the description and will be very dissapointed when photo is not starting on their iPad. Affinty must act here!

• Staff

Hi,

I had checked this video before posting, but the « locations » button doesn’t exist anymore in iOS 11.

When you tap « import from Cloud », it now opens the Files app, and you only get « On my iPad » and « iCloud drive » options there. When you edit the locations, there is no other cloud options available...

Hi Charlie,

I don't have access to iOS 11 yet so i'm not able to help you further, sorry. iOS 11 just entered in Beta and is not officially supported. Maybe someone from the dev team may be able to help you with this issue.

• Staff

It looks nice, but it is buggy: to lighten shadows is not working. An essential funktion for me.

Affinity Photo for iPad will get a lot of negative reviews because of the wrong compatibility-list in the App Store. Also the hints for iPad mini are missing in the description. Most people will overlook the description and will be very dissapointed when photo is not starting on their iPad. Affinty must act here!

Hi musiberti,

Can you give us more details regarding the Shadows/ Highlights adjustment? Are you sure you have the correct layer selected and not a nested mask or something else? It seems to be working fine for me.

Regarding the wrong compatibility-list we are working with Apple to fix this whenever possible.

This made me VERY happy to see during the WWDC! Is there going to be an spot for user requests moving forward? Because if so, my numero UNO request would be to have AP on the iPad and desktop talk to one another and sync changes. That would make things amazingly.... amazing!

Doug

Hi,

I installed the iOS 11 beta and, when I select « import from Cloud » on Affinity Photo, I can’t select Dropbox, iCloud Drive is the only service available.

Does anyone knows has the same issue or know how to fix this?

It's a beta. No one should ever expect things to work properly or expect support from a beta. Not even Apple supports issues when the beta is installed. This is how it works and there are disclaimers that one must read and agree to when installing said beta. Please do not expect the Serif team to work on bugs with a beta release.

Why is Serif wasting its resources on a minority of users? Is there nothing more important to do? Serious image editors do not wipe their fingers over a toy surface!!

That's a pretty pompous and short sighted comment. The fact that YOU don't know any professional artists who utilize an iPad for illustration/graphic work or other image based work, does not speak for the industry on the whole. I guess that might put you, in the minority. Might want to broaden your perspective a bit.

It's a beta. No one should ever expect things to work properly or expect support from a beta. Not even Apple supports issues when the beta is installed. This is how it works and there are disclaimers that one must read and agree to when installing said beta. Please do not expect the Serif team to work on bugs with a beta release.

I just wanted to warn the team (and the users) that for now, the cloud import option is limited to iCloud Drive on iOS 11 due to the change on the UI, I was not complaining, just asking if anyone had noticed/knew that.

That's a pretty pompous and short sighted comment. The fact that YOU don't know any professional artists who utilize an iPad for illustration/graphic work or other image based work, does not speak for the industry on the whole. I guess that might put you, in the minority. Might want to broaden your perspective a bit.

I think Michail probably doesn't realise that the majority of people who edit photos are Not professional artists...

I must say before I had an iPad I only saw people playing games on it or doing silly things and thought it seemed a bit excessive, but now I have one, I freaking love it! I don't play games on it, its just the most flexible awesome repository of information, entertainment, design, multitasking...just everything! I have stopped taking my laptop when I travel now, which is a load off (literally) - and no, I don't see it as a desktop replacement, more like enhancement! -

And now being able to have such a capable photo editing app is wonderful. What I have come to realise with professional editing programs is that: big or small, it does the job well..that's what people around me don't realise. They might say "oooh I don't want to swap heads around, I just want to take nice photos of my dog and make them better" well..good luck using some free, non-intuitive, buggy, ugly interface that makes you want to stop using it. Yes layers and such are a bit of a learning curve but the payoff is enormous. It looks complicated but its like going for a walk...you can either turn back after a short distance or continue up the mountain to the top..its all there. and besides, I don't want 3 apps that do things averagely when Affinity seem to pour their heart and soul into their work and make such an awesome app! I don't even like saying 'app' for this because it kinda cheapens it, but really, I respect what my iPad can do for me, and I want to respect it back by only putting the best apps on it.

I'm all in for Affinity - breaking those Adobe chains is going to be a fantastic moment (last one is the publishing program then I'm free!) and I don't directly make a penny out of my work in these apps/programs, I just require the most intuitive, flexible working environment for design/photos every day for normal everyday editing.

I think Michail probably doesn't realise that the majority of people who edit photos are Not professional artists...

I must say before I had an iPad I only saw people playing games on it or doing silly things and thought it seemed a bit excessive, but now I have one, I freaking love it! I don't play games on it, its just the most flexible awesome repository of information, entertainment, design, multitasking...just everything! I have stopped taking my laptop when I travel now, which is a load off (literally) - and no, I don't see it as a desktop replacement, more like enhancement! -

And now being able to have such a capable photo editing app is wonderful. What I have come to realise with professional editing programs is that: big or small, it does the job well..that's what people around me don't realise. They might say "oooh I don't want to swap heads around, I just want to take nice photos of my dog and make them better" well..good luck using some free, non-intuitive, buggy, ugly interface that makes you want to stop using it. Yes layers and such are a bit of a learning curve but the payoff is enormous. It looks complicated but its like going for a walk...you can either turn back after a short distance or continue up the mountain to the top..its all there. and besides, I don't want 3 apps that do things averagely when Affinity seem to pour their heart and soul into their work and make such an awesome app! I don't even like saying 'app' for this because it kinda cheapens it, but really, I respect what my iPad can do for me, and I want to respect it back by only putting the best apps on it.

I'm all in for Affinity - breaking those Adobe chains is going to be a fantastic moment (last one is the publishing program then I'm free!) and I don't directly make a penny out of my work in these apps/programs, I just require the most intuitive, flexible working environment for design/photos every day for normal everyday editing.

In no way would I ever imply that an iPad could be a desktop/laptop replacement in terms of what robust apps can do on those platforms. In fact, I had a "debate" with one of my best friends last night about this. He's a graphic illustrator. He made the mistake of saying that the iPad is finally going to be able to be a replacement for a "computer", to which I scoffed.

My issue with this is that there's no real interoperability between the two systems, and with very good reason. I'd get into it, but have to leave. Suffice it to say, editing on the iPad, IMO.. Should be looked at as an intermediary. I can do a lot of work on files while in transit, and if AP is able to sync the changes I make in its native file format, to my desktop, that means I'm being a lot more efficient with my workflow. I shot an event the other day. If I was able to retouch skin, crop etc while on the train home, imagine... I get home, sit down on the couch, continue to cull and edit, all the while, these files are being uploaded to a server. Then I get to the desktop, and said photos are able to sync, and I finish up there when I'm ready.

More later...

I have a problem with raw files. If I import raw files from my camera to my iPad and then try to open it in Affinity Photo I only get low resolution jpegs.

I only get the full resolution when I develop the raw files in snapseed first.

The app also seems to crash.

But I'm still happy that it's finally available :)