You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for iPad launched at Apple WWDC

• Staff

Affinity Photo for iPad – the first fully-featured, truly professional photo editing tool to arrive on Apple’s tablet – is now on sale.

We were proud to be able to launch it during the keynote at Apple’s WWDC in San Jose on 5 June – the highlight of Apple’s global product launch calendar.

If you saw that, or if you use Affinity Photo already, you’ll understand why it’s the choice of thousands of professional photographers, retouchers and editors around the world. 

We think Affinity Photo for iPad redefines photo editing once again, by bringing almost all the features in the Mac version to your iPad, so you can take all that photo editing power with you wherever you go.

The new version is tailored to harness the explosive power of the iPad’s hardware and touch capabilities, and is compatible with iPad Air 2, iPad 2017, iPad Pro 9.7-inch, iPad Pro 10.5-inch and iPad Pro 12.9-inch. Please note this is not the list of iPads that the App Store suggests it will work with, see this post for an explanation.

We expect this to be the biggest launch we’ve ever had and even better, Affinity Photo for iPad is priced at an introductory discount of more than 30 per cent in the App Store – so for now, you pay £19.99 / $19.99USD / 21,99€.

Watch the video: https://vimeo.com/220098594

See more: https://affinity.serif.com/photo/ipad

Watch some tutorialshttp://affin.co/ipadtuts

Here's a clip of our MD presenting Affinity Photo for iPad which is 100 minutes in to this WWDC video

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Congratulations, Team!

Wish you the best!

P. S.: "almost all the features in the Mac version". I'm just curious if there is a list of the features that aren't available. :)

Great news, congratulations, also for getting featured in Apple's presentation!!!  :)

One thing though – I already bought and downloaded it successfully, but when it starts, it says "Affinity Photo for iPad is not compatible with your iPad." (using  an iPad Air). The requirements in the App Store clearly list iPad Air as being compatible in the "Compatibility" section (contradicting the text in the description). You're likely to get quite a few angry users (or very sad ones like me) who buy the app and then find out it won't run on their device.

To be honest, I'd very much prefer a resolution/layer count limit like Procreate has it on older devices over a complete "your device is not compatible".

The presentation video says that it's compatible with iPad Air 2 and later.

Too bad there is an error on the Store.

Best regards!

• Staff

The presentation video says that it's compatible with iPad Air 2 and later.

Too bad there is an error on the Store.

Best regards!

We're genuinely really sorry about that - there's no way in the App Store to limit it to Air 2 or greater, so we tried to make it clear on the description that it only "supports iPad Pro, iPad Air 2 and iPad (early 2017). Please note that older iPads are not supported" - but I realise that if the 'compatibility' section at the bottom lists your device, you just buy it without reading the text... Again, we whole-heartedly apologise, we tried to do everything we could with the frameworks and mechanisms we have available, but there is currently no way to specify simply Air 2 and above. The reason is just down to hardware support for particular Metal features that isn't there in the original iPad Air :(

Thanks for you understanding,

Matt

yeah congrats 

you definitely nailed the UI, I tried Pixelmator but that is just a HUGE PAIN and was unusable for me

a few quick impressions (hope you do not mind)

Handoff support would be EXTREMELY good

no option to invert a mask

curves adjustment in this size is a bit of a joke in a photo editing app

had a crash, created text, added a gradient, crash, app did not save, how can I send crash reports? Or is it all automatic?

when toggling though selection tools the app would freeze 

the vertical selection options e.g. for brushes or blendmodes are slow because you have to go through all and can not skip, this is annoying never mind, tap on it

when reaching the edge while painting, when going beyond the edge, the app UI reappears to quickly and interrupts the stroke

no macros (guess they will come in some time), and I have not yet seen canvas rotation but I might be missing the right toggle

stabilizer is not enabled yet but I think Matt already said he'd do

cheers  :)  :wub:

Edited by MBd

yeah congrats

you definitely nailed the UI, I tried Pixelmator but that is just a HUGE PAIN and was unusable for me

a few quick impressions (hope you do not mind)

Handoff support would be EXTREMELY good

no option to invert a mask

curves adjustment in this size is a bit of a joke in a photo editing app

had a crash, created text, added a gradient, crash, app did not save, how can I send crash reports? Or is it all automatic?

the vertical selection options e.g. for brushes or blendmodes are slow because you have to go through all and can not skip, this is annoying never mind, tap on it

when reaching the edge while painting, when going beyond the edge, the app UI reappears to quickly and interrupts the stroke

no macros (guess they will come in some time), and I have not yet seen canvas rotation but I might be missing the right toggle

stabilizer is not enabled yet but I think Matt already said he'd do

cheers :) :wub:

One thing though – I already bought and downloaded it successfully, but when it starts, it says "Affinity Photo for iPad is not compatible with your iPad." (using  an iPad Air). The requirements in the App Store clearly list iPad Air as being compatible in the "Compatibility" section (contradicting the text in the description). You're likely to get quite a few angry users (or very sad ones like me) who buy the app and then find out it won't run on their device.

I just downloaded from the App Store, it clearly says "Air Pad 2."  

MBd, with all due respect, the app was "born" just today. Your comments are like critiquing a day old baby.

Knowing what Serif is capable of, I have no doubt that they will add improvements and remedies to the app.

I think we just need to celebrate with them today and leave the critiquing to a later date as these guys have worked their heads off to pull off the iPad version.

I hope you understand my point.

Nana

MBd, with all due respect, the app was "born" just today. Your comments are like critiquing a day old baby.

Knowing what Serif is capable of, I have no doubt that they will add improvements and remedies to the app.

I think we just need to celebrate with them today and leave the critiquing to a later date as these guys have worked their heads off to pull off the iPad version.

I hope you understand my point.

Nana

well that baby is actually several years old (ok, still a baby), one could even say older than the Mac app...anyhow

I have no doubt either, did I say so?

since the bugs section is open, I think they actually want feedback

cheers 

bought and tried on ipad pro + pencil, powerfull tool on the go!!!

for professionals is more than a spare wheel. pretty nice.

But the real jump in the WORK zone is to sync the desktop file ( or a single level) with the ipad in order to use some tools with the applepencil or with the finger. Now you have to buy ASTROPAD ( different behavior but same result).

I'm quite sure that the virtual wacom tablet is in the dream list :)

• Staff

Just to be clear, the app will not run on iPad mini 2 at all, right?

Or will it just run slower than on newer devices?

If it doesn't run at all, will older devices be included in future updates?

To be clear it will only run on an iPad Air 2, iPad 2017 (version 5) and iPad Pro 9.7-inch 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch.

It will NOT run on ANY iPad Mini (1,2,3 OR 4) (despite what the app store automatic text says). It requires a 9.7 inch screen, 64-bit processor and Metal (which the iPad Air 1 does not have)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

We're genuinely really sorry about that - there's no way in the App Store to limit it to Air 2 or greater, so we tried to make it clear on the description that it only "supports iPad Pro, iPad Air 2 and iPad (early 2017). Please note that older iPads are not supported" - but I realise that if the 'compatibility' section at the bottom lists your device, you just buy it without reading the text... Again, we whole-heartedly apologise, we tried to do everything we could with the frameworks and mechanisms we have available, but there is currently no way to specify simply Air 2 and above. The reason is just down to hardware support for particular Metal features that isn't there in the original iPad Air :(

Thanks for you understanding,

Matt

Too bad that Apple doesn't allow you to make it truly clear.