You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Official Affinity Photo V1 (iPad) Tutorials

On 2017-07-25 at 4:43 AM, MEB said:

Hi Gareth Humphreys,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

• open the first image as usual
  • tap More (the three dots icon) on the top of the interface and select Place ▸ Place from Photos/iCloud depending from where you want to import the second image then tap the screen to place it on the document. Position the image as you wish or scale it to match the first image height with the Move Tool.
  • open the Layers Studio, click the plus sign and select New Fill layer (we will use this layer as a mask to control the opacity of the second image) - the new fill layer will appear on the top of the other two covering the canvas with a solid colour
  • tap and drag from left to right over it to create a gradient - you should see the gradient handles/controls appear on canvas
  • open the Layers Studio and tap and hold the fill layer until an horizontal blue line appears, then drag the layer over the thumbnail of the second image layer (the thumbnail will become a solid blue when you hover it (we are doing this to use the gradient fill layer as a mask for the second image)
  • tap the fill layer we just created in the Layers Studio to ensure its selected - you should see the gradient handles on canvas at this point
  • now tap the node (the small end circle) of the gradient handle that you want to make semi transparent/fade, open the Colours Studio and reduce its opacity to 0% - you should now be seeing the fade effect appearing
  • adjust the position of both gradient's nodes on canvas to fine tune the transition/fade effect

Let me know if you still have trouble.

I have done this, made my mask layer, attached it to the image and yet it has not modified it in any way. I turn the layer visability off and on and the mask is completely ineffectual; like it didn’t even exist. What am I missing here? I even closed the app and reopened it, as I find you have to do that frequently. Still, nothing.

I guess once a Photoshop users, always a Photoshop user. This app seems to come from a different planet in the way you do things and there seems to be a ton of needless steps. I just can’t seem to wrap my head around it. 

I have submitted a copy of my layer mask. For some reason, it has the crop icon attached. I have no idea what this means.

863E4809-4A04-4555-BE90-FD5896318698.jpeg

If I enter adjustments and try to make changes on the wheels (for example the Brightness/Contrast adjustment) they are not working as advertised. If I touch a circle and move clockwise I get negative percentages and if I move counterclockwise I also get negative percentages. There operation is also not smooth at all. Sometimes as you move your finger around the circle there are no changes at all. I have also tried to use the Apple Pencil for the adjustments and get the same responses. Is this a known issue?  I know you can tap and get the small key pads, but if you enter a number you can’t 

see the change until you leave the key pad. Why did Affinity use these small wheels instead of the sliders used on the Mac version?

2 hours ago, acsimon said:

If I enter adjustments and try to make changes on the wheels (for example the Brightness/Contrast adjustment) they are not working as advertised. If I touch a circle and move clockwise I get negative percentages and if I move counterclockwise I also get negative percentages. There operation is also not smooth at all. Sometimes as you move your finger around the circle there are no changes at all. I have also tried to use the Apple Pencil for the adjustments and get the same responses. Is this a known issue?  I know you can tap and get the small key pads, but if you enter a number you can’t 

see the change until you leave the key pad. Why did Affinity use these small wheels instead of the sliders used on the Mac version?

Don’t move your finger around the circle, just move it to the left or the right as you would do with a slider. I think the circles are intended to make better use of the available space.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Click inside the wheel and then you can drag left/right or up/down. Unfortunately you can’t drag down very far, so this isn’t a very good option. However, if there are a number of options available for the tool and the adjustment wheel is off-center, you are unable to drag even half way across the screen, only allowing for moderate adjustments before having to enter numbers manually or dragging again and again. I think a better option here would be to click the wheel, activating the adjustment, brining up the numeric keypad, then you should be able to drag from anywhere on the screen, until clicking the adjustement wheel again, shutting off the adjustment on that wheel. This would allow you to drag completely across the screen, instead of only a possible maximum of 50%.

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

Hello all,

Just to let you know that in conjunction with the latest update, I've re-recorded one video and there are three new videos:

• Opening, Saving & Exporting (Updated; 22nd February)
    • Learn how to open images from different sources (Photos App, cloud storage), see how images are auto-saved and discover how to export and share images - both in common formats (JPEG, PSD) and as Affinity documents.
    • Watch: Vimeo / YouTube
  • iPad/Desktop Interworking
    • Check out a quick and simple workflow to share and edit your work between the iPad and desktop versions of Affinity Photo using Open In Place.
  • Exporting
    • Learn how to use the export dialog on the iPad version of Affinity Photo to share your work in a number of different formats.
  • 360 Live Editing
    • See how to apply Live Projection editing to 360 images and retouch them.

As usual, the list in the first post has been updated. Hope you find them useful!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hello,

I'm on the second video tutorial, "Interface Tour", and it begins with a screen (the Welcome Screen) showing multiple project folders, each with one or more files, that appear to correlate with all the video tutorials.  When i open the app i don't have this.  I only see what is shown after the narrator opens up a project.  I have two options, Tutorials and Samples.  Where are all those sample projects?

I thought i also remember having an interactive tour when i first opened the app (that was months ago).  I just now deleted the app and re-downloaded it, but still no interactive tour and still no sample projects.  Am I missing something?  Were they both removed?  Thanks.

nate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 08/03/2018 at 6:15 AM, James Casson said:

I’m wanting to use Affinity Photo for the iPad for more high end retouching, judging from the video what I want to do is definitely possible. Does anyone have links to videos showcasing makeup retouching or adding makeup to photos using this app?

Check out the examples by Affinity Revolution. The one I linked deals with retouching. The video includes a link to sample photos used in video.

Also check out the Pedro Soares macros for portrait retouching  provided in the 2nd link . They work well on the iPad version too. Techniques are similar.

http://blog.pedrosoares.photo/retouching-quick-tip-01/?lang=en

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Letting you know that Inpainting and Tone Mapping are bad links/not downloadable on vimeo.

Could these tutorials please be better organised into functional tutorial chapters like the Affinity Designer and Photo tutorials?

I use these, as I imagine many others do, to make a training resource that I go through when I have free time or am commuting. 

It helps to be able to work through them in a logical order knowing that you have covered all the topics thoroughly and not missed any or done them at random.

I am fairly organised and logical so it helps if the tutorials cover the UI elements/tasks/features in the order you would learn them or look for them in the UI.

Thanks I am really loving the Affinity iPad Apps! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hello all,  the 1.6.9 update made quite a few interface and gesture changes that rendered the tutorial videos out of date—thus, you will now find a new set of structured tutorials here: https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/photo/ipad

The first post of this thread has been updated, but the above link will take you straight to the new tutorials which feature localised subtitles for all 9 languages the app is supported in. Hope you find them useful!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2018 at 10:41 AM, James Ritson said:

you will now find a new set of structured tutorials here: https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/photo/ipad

James, thank you so much for your wonderful lessons! Can you please tell me where I can now find those that were accessible from the app on the iPad? They contained explanations that are not available in the lessons currently available on the site.
OR
please post previous lessons in a separate section, for example, calling the playlist “Lessons for versions before 1.6.9”

TIA

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

To James Ritson,

A HQ photo enlargement tutorial is required. So, this request targets both the desktop and iPad versions of Affinity Photo. You as a professional photographer, know this problem. In brief:

1. The final result is a high-quality print on an acid-free paper with carbon powder. Such prints live for 500 years or more without loss of quality as printed engravings by Albrecht Dürer. Whereas the practical lifetime even with high-quality chemical toners produced by Canon or Epson is no more than 7-10 years due to oxidation in air.

2. The size has meaning. When printing, say, a 75x100 cm artwork with the standard 400 dpi resolution (the digital carbon printing uses only 400 and 720 dpi resolution), we need to have a 130-150 Mpx image.

3. If merely using the enlargement algorithms accessed in Affinity Photo, Photoshop or any other image editor, we could NEVER get the necessary quality at such magnifications. This is the well-known practical fact known to professional photographers. Therefore, 3rd party enlargement software is used among which No.1 is Benvista PhotoZoom, while all others (Topaz Gigapixel AI and others) are at the 4th and lower places in the sense of the quality of enlarged images. PhotoZoom costs 160 GBPounds, but we purchase it because no other choice. And... there is no iOS version of PhotoZoom; the Benvista developers reject to create an iOS PhotoZoon arguing that this version will give a very little income.

4. If fact, we all understand that there is nothing contained in "S-Spline Max algorithm" used in PhotoZoom that would not be presented in Affinity Photo. Supposedly, "S-Spline Max algorithm" is merely a tricky combintation of the usual algorithms of enlargenent, sharpness and other that are presented with Affinity Photo. This is the same situation that with any other tricks and algorithms used in photo editors: we can repeat all these using Affinity Photo if we know how. A sample are many perfect video tutorials by James Ritson using which we can repeat almost all that is accessed with photo editors but using only Affinity Photo.

5. How about a video tutorial telling about high quality photo enlargement? I mean not banally using the algorithms accessed in Affinity Photo, simply using of which does not give necessary high quality. I mean something like “translating” the one-step complex algorithm of photo enlarghement used in PhotoZoom into the simple terms of a multi-step sequential process that can be done using the Affinity Photo tools. In the past, you released similar tutorials for other photo development processes.

P.S. I posted this request to this thread. But the same is true about the desktop version of Affinity Photo, because using both iPad and a desktop computer. Supposedly, the tiutorial will be the same. I hope you understand the high impotance of such a tutorial (currently we have no competition for PhotoZoom, and there is no an iOS version of it). Everyone who printed high quality artworks with museum quality knows that I mean and that this problem is highly important.

I hope you understand that I mean. Thank you in advance -- Dmitri

• 6 months later...

Would be nice to see some videos of end-2-end please, covering example topics of portrait edits, landscape, wildlife, family, changing sky on landscapes, composite image of something really creative (see phlearn for example).

and also proofing for printing, 

• 7 months later...
On 6/15/2017 at 11:53 AM, Yangster said:

In the RAW editing video, you opened the raw file from iCloud. Can you also open a raw file from Photos? I uploaded raw files with sd connector, but when I opened them, the file appear to be the embedded jpeg.

When you import from photos, raw images should be labelled [RAW] JPEG’s are not labelled. Are you sure that the raw files were uploaded?