You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Official Affinity Photo V1 (iPad) Tutorials

I am following the Mask Layer Compositing tutorialhowever when I try to place an image, instead of the image showing up in a small window as in the tutorial it completely covers the background image and I cannot resize it. I have Snapping enabled. 

EDIT: I posted this in the iPad thread instead since it seems more appropriate there.

Edited by Bousquet

Ok, so call me slow but on my iPad Pro, I have been trying to invert an adjustment layer but haven't a clue how to do so. Example, I want to use the brightness and contrast adjustment but only in certain places, so I would invert the layer, then paint white in the places I want the adjustment to show up. Is this possible?

Hello, as one of the individuals new to image editing and Affinity Photo both on iPad and Mac; I have hopefully a small request. If the images in the iPad tutorials are not copyrighted can they be included as part of the tutorials? I know the potential response is just use any image, but it is so much easier to follow the video with the same image doing the same adjustments and reviewing that you have the same output to confirm correct understanding of the tutorial. My daughter and I are both one of the many that may be new to image editing with the release of Affinity Photo iPad.

• Staff

Hello all, just a bump to let you know the first post has been updated with three new videos: Changing Eye ColourPanoramas and Hiding Tricky Skies.

The new videos are of course available in-app too!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

I‘m curious about who speaks in these tutorial videos and where is the speaker coming from? I like it and as coming from Germany i understand it very good. Good Job!

AP for iPad 1.6.5.61  on (latest) iOS 11.0.3 on iPad Pro 12,9“ (2015) with Apple Pencil- AD Mac official - AP Mac official

eagerly awaiting AD for iPad :-)I

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, brand-new user here (using iPad), I want to get into what are probably very basic techniques,  but for the life of me I can't figure them out!  I'd like to be able to blend two photographs together side-by-side, one fading out into another, I don't know how to do it or where to start! If somebody could show me the way that'd be great!

Hello Gareth,

In order to blend to images begin by choosing your first image from the opening screen.  You do this by using the big + sign which will show you various

places from which you can add your image.  Now you will see that image in your Affinity platform.  When you want to add the next image, go to the top left and choose

the three little dots.  In the drop down menu you will see the option "place".  Click on that option and a fly out menu will appear,the fly out menu will show you

the places you can use to add the next image.  Click on one of these, pick the image and select it by placing your finger or pen firmly on it, now if it is successfully imported you will

see the words "downloading from ..."  Here is what makes it confusing, the imported image comes into the stack about the size of a gnat and on the right hand side of

the actual image.  Drag your finger or pen around the image and find your new image and change the side by dragging the handles.  You can also check your layer stack on

the top right hand side to see the layer there, too!    I hope this helps!!

IMG_0001.PNG

IMG_0003.PNG

10 hours ago, Pamela027 said:

Hello Gareth,

In order to blend to images begin by choosing your first image from the opening screen.  You do this by using the big + sign which will show you various

places from which you can add your image.  Now you will see that image in your Affinity platform.  When you want to add the next image, go to the top left and choose

the three little dots.  In the drop down menu you will see the option "place".  Click on that option and a fly out menu will appear,the fly out menu will show you

the places you can use to add the next image.  Click on one of these, pick the image and select it by placing your finger or pen firmly on it, now if it is successfully imported you will

see the words "downloading from ..."  Here is what makes it confusing, the imported image comes into the stack about the size of a gnat and on the right hand side of

the actual image.  Drag your finger or pen around the image and find your new image and change the side by dragging the handles.  You can also check your layer stack on

the top right hand side to see the layer there, too!    I hope this helps!!

Hi Pamela, thanks for taking the time to reply, apologies, i must not have explained myself correctly! :)

what i'm looking to atchieve is something like the example i found below/attached, if you or anyone could assist me in the required technique that would be great!

blend.gif

• Staff

Hi Gareth Humphreys,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

• open the first image as usual
  • tap More (the three dots icon) on the top of the interface and select Place ▸ Place from Photos/iCloud depending from where you want to import the second image then tap the screen to place it on the document. Position the image as you wish or scale it to match the first image height with the Move Tool.
  • open the Layers Studio, click the plus sign and select New Fill layer (we will use this layer as a mask to control the opacity of the second image) - the new fill layer will appear on the top of the other two covering the canvas with a solid colour
  • tap and drag from left to right over it to create a gradient - you should see the gradient handles/controls appear on canvas
  • open the Layers Studio and tap and hold the fill layer until an horizontal blue line appears, then drag the layer over the thumbnail of the second image layer (the thumbnail will become a solid blue when you hover it (we are doing this to use the gradient fill layer as a mask for the second image)
  • tap the fill layer we just created in the Layers Studio to ensure its selected - you should see the gradient handles on canvas at this point
  • now tap the node (the small end circle) of the gradient handle that you want to make semi transparent/fade, open the Colours Studio and reduce its opacity to 0% - you should now be seeing the fade effect appearing
  • adjust the position of both gradient's nodes on canvas to fine tune the transition/fade effect

Let me know if you still have trouble.

You really need to have an intensive tutorial for the iPad on removing blemishes and all the retouching tools such as the clone stamp, etc.  This is crucial in many peoples workflows and to me they seem very clumsy and confusing and again not intuitive to use compared to say Photoshop.  The healing tool for example in Snapseed is beyond intuitive and needs no instructions and simply works.  Affinity needs to take some pointers from some of these apps out there that many use and use for a reason....because they are easy and effective to use!

To live life with no risk is to risk not living.

Gareth do yourself a favor and use Photoshop Mix on the iPad...SOOOO much easier to do than Affinity honestly and there are tutorial showing you how to use as well.  Believe me at least try.  Affinity is great but Photoshop of course is industry legends so download Photoshop Mix and create...it's powerful and fun!

To live life with no risk is to risk not living.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - struggling with Stacking. I have 60 Mico 4/3 JPEG images. They take a long time to stack (selected to align images). Once I have then stacked, I then want to merge to a new layer to make other adjustments. This keeps hanging.

using a 2 generation iPad Pro 10.5". 

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, I am new to photo editing. Can you make a tutorial for portrait editing. Clean the face whiten the teeth. (For ipad ) please. I loved your videos. 

I am using go pro, it takes picture with a curve how can I make it straight ( hopefully I managed to explain it :/) I am sorry for my English. 

Thank you very much

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Greetings all from Malta! Just dropping in to say I've put live three new videos and added them to the first post. They are RetouchingiOS 11 Drag & Drop and On-Screen Modifiers, and here they are for easy access:

• Retouching (Frequency Separation & Retouching Tools)
    • Discover Photo for iPad's range of retouching tools, including:

Automated Frequency Separation
      Blemish Removal Tool
      Healing Brush Tool
      Patch Tool
      Clone Tool
      Inpainting Tool

• Watch: Vimeo / YouTube
  • iOS 11 Drag & Drop
    • See how to use iOS 11's new Files browser and its drag-drop functionality to import images into Photo - including dropping multiple images in for stacking, HDR merge, panorama stitching and more.
  • On-Screen Modifiers
    • Learn how to enable and use on-screen modifiers with the iPad version of Affinity Photo. They behave the same way as traditional modifiers (Ctrl, CMD, Alt) but are touch-based.

Since I recorded the iOS 11 Drag & Drop video, I'm aware that the developers have added several cool drag-drop additions, so once I return next week from holiday I'll look into re-recording the video and keep you updated when it's ready. Hope you find the videos useful!

Just a question James.  In the On-Screen Modifiers vid, the section about the Gradient tool, you have added a New Pixel Layer then used the Gradient tool leaving Type to None. Is this process destructive or non-destructive?  

A way back in the development of AP, there was an issue where in order for the gradient process to be non-destructive one needed to add a New Fill Layer.  If you added only a New Pixel Layer, you could not go back to do any editing.  In your iPad video, I did not see you do more editing and then come back to that gradient step.  

I am curious as to whether the Gradient process has been developed to where the New Fill Layer is no longer a needed step in both the iPad and Mac version to be non-destructive?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey all, just letting you know that I've re-recorded the iOS 11 Drag & Drop video to include the new functionality that made it into the recent release of Photo. The Vimeo link remains the same, but here's the new YouTube link: https://youtu.be/MYKju_Y1C-Y

@p_mac, using the gradient tool on a pixel layer remains a destructive operation (since the result is immediately rasterised once you switch tools) - in the video I added a pixel layer because I often forget to use a non-destructive fill layer and old habits die hard ;) - apologies as it was improvised and I just wanted to quickly demonstrate the gradient tool's modifiers.