You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

SVG preview thumbnails in Windows Explorer

I'm realy enjoying Affinity Designer on Windows, but I"m missing a feature. For me it is very hadny to have previews of my files in explorer, but since I asscoiated the SVG file type with Designer, I can no longer have them. So, I'd rather suggest to add support for this.

Are you sure you were able to view SVG thumbnails in Windows File Explorer before?  If so it would be due to third-party software you have installed, as Windows doesn't have native thumbnail support for SVG files.

In order to display thumbnails, Windows File Explorer needs a codec for that file type so that it can read them, and that comes from the developers behind that file format.  As Windows File Explorer doesn't natively have a codec for SVG files, they won't be displayed in Windows File Explorer and instead you will just see an icon which will be the icon for the program the file type is set to open with (in this case, Affinity Designer).

You'll find the same issue with Camera Raw files, where until the camera manufacturer's submit codecs for their Raw files to Microsoft, you also won't be able to view their thumbnails in Windows File Explorer either, just the icons.  However I don't know the reason why other developers such as Adobe or the W3C don't provide codecs for PSD files, SVG files, etc., I guess there's some sort of political reason behind it that only they know.  Maybe licencing issues, I don't know.

Therefore the only way to display SVG thumbnails in Windows File Explorer is via third-party software, however I can't give you any advise on this as I don't use them.  If you do take that route though, be cautious about what you download and install.

• 3 weeks later...

Yup, I have - a small shell addon called "SVG Viewer Extension". But when I associate the SVG fromat with Designer it stops working for some reason. Designer has support for it's own file format thumbnails and since SVG as supported, but lacks native OS thumb preview support, I though it would be nice to get one from the Designer itself.