You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Coloring a scanned outline

Hey guys,

I'm new to AD and the world of vector so this might be a very stupid question, but please forgive me if it is.

My workflow consists of a drawing on paper. It's basically outline and black fills. That gets scanned and a little contrast work done in Photoshop Elements. After that I convert to vector using Inkscape and open the SVG in AD to work there. So far I've only done black and white work, and haven't ran into any issues.

But as I'm looking to incorporate more color in my work, I seem to be unable to figure out two things. First of all, how do I isolate a certain black 'area' (it is a standalone group of nodes) to give that a specific color, which is different from the rest of the drawing?

And two, how do I color the space inside an area that is surrounded by connected nodes?

I've attached a small file to illustrate what I mean, it is a small piece of a bigger thing. It's two parts of eyes (on top) and a mouth with three teeth. At this point, everything is green. I want one of the two green 'blobs', the eyes, at the top to be red. Also there are three areas in the middle (the teeth). I want the left one to be filled with red as well.

I have no idea how to approach this.

test.afdesign

• Staff

Since this is a single object, the easiest way to get its parts is selecting the object and going to Layer -> Geometry -> Divide.

This will break you object into separate pieces you can manage individually. Probably some of them are bigger than others and cover the smaller ones. You can send the bigger ones to back using the buttons on the Arranje section of the top toolbar (they are orange and grey) and change temporarily their color to make all the rest more visible.