You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to add a background

I have a photo of a person sitting on a carpet - she wanted the carpet removed - that was easy enough as I saw a tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf6dh3wFbxo

I was able to cut out the carpet. But now I don't know how to add my own background such as a colour or a colour gradient. I've tried the flood fill tool but nothing happens - and yes, I did change the colour. 

How can I do this in the simplest way possible?

post-50884-0-35446600-1496427495_thumb.png

I have a photo of a person sitting on a carpet - she wanted the carpet removed - that was easy enough as I saw a tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf6dh3wFbxo

I was able to cut out the carpet. But now I don't know how to add my own background such as a colour or a colour gradient. I've tried the flood fill tool but nothing happens - and yes, I did change the colour. 

Go to Layer - New Fill Layer

Simply click on a colour to change the colour to whatever you want. (The fill layer probably started white)

Drag the fill layer below your pixel layer in the Layers panel.

That's it, three clicks and a drag.

If you want a colour gradient, look at the context bar when you create the fill layer, it should say Type - Solid and then a short colour bar in whatever colour you just choose.

If you click on the "Solid" bit it will open a drop down menu, you have the option to choose a colour gradient fill. Like linear, elliptical, radial. Select one and the gradient tool will then be active, drag it across the page and you get a graduated fill.

Click on the circle at either end to set a colour, say yellow at one end then red at the other end and it will graduate between them.  It is also possible to graduate from, say, red to yellow and then back to red (or blue even), Click on the line and it will add a new control point, you can then set the colour of that to get three colours. More if you want.

There is a little slider on the bar between the colour points to adjust the blend.

BTW, are you sure the background layer was selected when you tried to fill the erased carpet area with colour? It is easy to add an adjustment layer and try to edit that, or even deselect the layer, wondering why nothing is happening. Don't ask me how I know that ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 9 months later...
On 2/6/2017 at 1:18 PM, Chintan said:

post-50884-0-35446600-1496427495_thumb.png

Better if you share the original image