You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Import PS-brushes to Affinity photo

Hi there! :)

I just tried to get my topic answered via the search but unfortunately, didn't succeed. It might be me because I'm German - so forgive me if this was already answered. :rolleyes:

I bought Affinity photo a couple of days ago because I'm sick of being Adobe's cash cow and still working on adjusting. ;) Well... I made a lot of brushes in PS and am wondering if they can be imported to Affinity photo.

THX

Plan_B :) 

BTW... I'm using Win 10

Affinity can import PS brush collections stored in files with the .abr file extension.

EDIT: regarding searching this site, its search engine is not very good. I use Google or Bing instead, with " site:affinity.serif.com" appended to the end of the search term (note the leading space) to confine the results to this site. For example, Photoshop brushes site:affinity.serif.com returns 400+ hits (link uses Google).

Edited by R C-R

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Affinity can import PS brush collections stored in files with the .abr file extension.

THX for your reply, R C-R. :)

My brushes all have the .abr, so that's not the problem. ;) But in which folder do I store them?

Yes, you can import them in Affinity Photo. Go to the Brushes panel, click on the small menu icon on the top right of the panel and select Import Brushes...

At least on Macs, you can also just drop an .abr file onto the app's icon (either Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer) or right click on one & use the "Open with..." contextual menu item to open them in the app, which automatically imports them. There are probably equivalents for Windows, but I don't know what they would be.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

At least on Macs, you can also just drop an .abr file onto the app's icon (either Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer) or right click on one & use the "Open with..." contextual menu item to open them in the app, which automatically imports them. There are probably equivalents for Windows, but I don't know what they would be.

No, R C-R, it worked just perfectly the way MEB suggested.

This is soooooooooooo easy!!! :D

Thanks for the info about the Windows task bar behavior. I have to confess that since I have not used a Windows PC for over a decade, until I started participating in the Affinity forums, did not know (or care) much about the differences between the two platforms. Now, I try to make allowances for that by mentioning that something might be different for Windows vs. Macs.

BTW, Plan_B did mention that he was using Windows 10 in his first post ("BTW... I'm using Win 10") so I knew that much when I made my first reply (& why I edited it to include the link to the Google search results).

Affinity Photo 

EDIT: regarding searching this site, its search engine is not very good. I use Google or Bing instead, with " site:affinity.serif.com" appended to the end of the search term (note the leading space) to confine the results to this site. For example, Photoshop brushes site:affinity.serif.com returns 400+ hits (link uses Google).

Now THIS should be a sticky, somewhere! Great idea, thanks!

I'm a lady... :P ;)

Sorry about the gender assumption! For reasons that probably will be unclear to almost everyone, I somehow associated your name with a different Plan & its writer, producer, & director. I blame it on too much blood in my coffee stream this morning.  :wacko:

Affinity Photo 

You have some strange tastes!

:) At least in the U.S. Plan 9 from Outer Space has a considerable cult following because it is widely considered to be the worst movie ever made, so horrifically bad that no other movie could possibly dethrone it from that "honor." Ed Wood (the film's writer, producer, & director) was the subject of Tim Burton's Oscar winning movie of the same name (starring Johnny Depp as Wood), which generated renewed interest in Plan 9 & an appreciation (if that is the right word) for its world class awfulness.  B)

Affinity Photo 

:) At least in the U.S. Plan 9 from Outer Space has a considerable cult following

I think Miguel's comment about "strange tastes" was not about your reference to Plan 9 from Outer Space, but instead about your remark that you had "too much blood in [your] coffee stream". I suspect that he may have failed to unravel it sufficiently to understand that you were really just saying you didn't have enough coffee in your bloodstream. ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I was referring to putting blood in your coffee....! 

Ah! That was an I guess too obscure play on words on the phrase "too much coffee in my blood stream." It is just intended to mean I am dysfunctional if I do not constantly maintain a high enough caffeine level in my blood stream. Maybe it is just a U.S. thing but it is popular enough to be used as a slogan on tee shirts, in e-cards, & the like.

Affinity Photo 

Sorry about the gender assumption! For reasons that probably will be unclear to almost everyone, I somehow associated your name with a different Plan & its writer, producer, & director. I blame it on too much blood in my coffee stream this morning.  :wacko:

It's also in part due to a shortcoming in the English language.  If the gender is unknown, there isn't a way of using a singular pronoun to refer to someone without identifying them as either male or female, so historically 'He' or 'His' has been viewed as gender inclusive and therefore correct if the gender is unknown because continuously writing 'He/She', 'His/Her', He or she', 'His or her' would make reading and writing rather tedious and cumbersome.  Although now it's commonplace to change the singular to plural and use 'Their' or 'They' instead (due to them being gender neutral), technically using the plural form to refer to a singular noun or pronoun is grammatically incorrect, hence the language dilemma.

I will of course allow you to refer to me and my possessions as 'One' or 'One's'.  As in "One doth talk a lot of nonsense in one's forum posts". 

It’s enough to drive anyone out of their minds.   :)

It’s enough to drive anyone out of their minds.   :)

I only visit mine occasionally. It is a scary place, full of weird ideas about the true nature of things.

129fs238648.gif

Affinity Photo 

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...