You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In the blackness of space maybe no one can hear you scream but in the confusion of colour-space, well...

I don't know if this will provoke more or less screaming but here are some things to consider:

1. Only light sources have color. If an object does not emit light, what we perceive as its color is the result of absorption & reflection of the light striking it. This means the color of non-emitting objects is not absolute -- it changes with the amount & color of light illuminating it.

2. With very few exceptions, light sources are composed of a broad spectrum of different amounts of differently colored light -- they are not a single color. The color we perceive depends both on the spectrum of the light & on complex physiological & psychological factors that we do not completely understand.

3. To make sense of it all, we rely on theories like the opponent process & various mathematical color space models. This leads to things like impossible or "imaginary" colors (which may not always be impossible). Note that the ProPhoto RGB color space includes a range of imaginary colors, including two of its three primaries.

4. Abstract mathematical color spaces are three dimensional. This means all those nifty color space pictures you see all over the web showing the gamuts of different color spaces like ProPhoto, sRGB, etc. are really just two dimensional cross-sectional slices that do not tell the whole story. Usually, we do not have to consider that but as this article explains, sometimes we do (or at least should).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I had a Canon photo printer with extra colours in green and red and it was better, sometimes, as CMYK can't produce greens and oranges (especially) very well

I recall reading about CMYKOG or 'Hexachrome', which was designed to combat precisely that problem by adding orange and green inks to the usual cyan, magenta, yellow and black inks used in standard four-colour process printing.

In the blackness of space maybe no one can hear you scream ...

Could this be a reference to "screaming until you're blue in the face"? :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I'm sure you're right, Mike, but I just couldn't resist making a comment about the apparent connection between screaming and 'MrBlueFace'. ;)

Alfred spacer.png

I recall reading about CMYKOG or 'Hexachrome', which was designed to combat precisely that problem by adding orange and green inks to the usual cyan, magenta, yellow and black inks used in standard four-colour process printing.

Note that even the gamut of the ProPhoto RGB color space does not enclose all the greens humans can see ... but it does include some blues we can't see.

Must be a joke in there somewhere about blue-faced screamers, singing the blues, or such, but I can't think of one. 127fs4573872.gif

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Good evening everyone - or whatever time 'tis where you reside. See: Time And Relative Dimension In Space. Who was The Doctor who said that I wonder? And the same with colour-space - so much seems relative. 

4. Abstract mathematical color spaces are three dimensional.

Quite right, Sir. I did reference a video about this in another post in this thread, should anyone want a good head-banging session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKX08oOTMkk

NB That You Tube page has many other videos on this topic, too.

Could this be a reference to "screaming until you're blue in the face"? :P

:D  As in when I howl at a Blue Moon? Could be, yup. "I never felt more like singin' the blues..." (Some Guy). 

And, of course, the Doctor's TARDIS is blue, after all.

Just to return to toltec for a moment. It is a good point, I guess, that we may not appreciate incremental improvements and attempts to perfect things. (Especially as our eyes age). But, then again, we happily put-up with typed letters (remember letters?) before word processors were available; with crackly cats' whiskers before transistors and chips and digital radio; with crackly LPs before CDs (yup I know some like LPs for nostalgia / warmth but I prefer to hear the track as intended - and now I can). So we do not necessarily appreciate what we are missing until we see something better: colour tv; HD tv; 4K tv (let's just ignore 3d tv for now). 

So thanks to all your your help and fascinating debate. Good not to be a pale soul in the photosphere wilderness, wondering. Or, put another way,

"You saw me standing alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own
Blue moon"

Or something like that. Hey, who mentioned Alien?

All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts...

- Jaques's speech from William Shakespeare's "As You Like It" (Act II; Scene VII)

Who was The Doctor who said that I wonder?

That should, of course, be "Who was The Doctor who said that" (i.e. without the question mark)! :P

Alfred spacer.png

That should, of course, be "Who was The Doctor who said that" (i.e. without the question mark)! :P

:) Good point; cleverly rendered. Though we don't actually know the Doctor's name methinks. Then again, it's always Tom Baker for me and I Proclaim David Tennant is a strong second. One small step for a man... Five Hundred miles for that Doctor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW1gu8Lv8Fk

(By the way, spot James Bond (Timothy Dalton) as a Time Lord)

Did I digress there? Sorry my navigation circuits are unreliable - shall have to reverse the neutron-flow.

Must go to feed K9. Cheerio.

They have their exits and their entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts...

- Jaques's speech from William Shakespeare's "As You Like It" (Act II; Scene VII)

:) Good point; cleverly rendered.

Thanks. :)

Though we don't actually know the Doctor's name methinks. Then again, it's always Tom Baker for me and I Proclaim David Tennant is a strong second.

I'm probably showing my age here, but I always rather liked Patrick Troughton. :blink:

Have we gone off topic yet? :unsure: :P whistling.gif

Alfred spacer.png

Thanks. :)

I'm probably showing my age here, but I always rather liked Patrick Troughton. :blink:

Have we gone off topic yet? :unsure: :P whistling.gif

Not a bit of it - blue, remember, the Doctor's colour space and time.

BTW, you youngster! I really (honestly) was behind the sofa for the very first episode of Dr Who in 1963. Junk yards for me, every time.

• 1 year later...

sRGB is the better option.

In most cases, your monitor, your clients, and most printers are set in a sRGB color space.  So if you work in  Adobe RGB  and then send out to you final destination that is set for sRGB you colors may (especially the greens) will look not only different but could turn out muddy or just not pleasing.

Adobe RGV is vastly superior to sRGB, but if your final output in on that color space you may end up with less than expected results.  Think of it this way.  You can't put 16 ounces of liquid into an 8-ounce glass. So in short if your monitor and final output (client, printer, and/or monitor) is not  Adobe  RGB then you may not get the results you want.

Just use sRGB and you will be fine.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I'm setting up my Colour Preferences to Adobe RGB (1998) and have assigned my selection. In the next line there is also an option to select Adobe RGB on the 32bit RGB Colour Profile. Can someone advise me in simple terms (mechanical engineer) if I should also assign this and why?

Appreciated, Sandy