You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Trial crashes before starting in Win8

This is one of those long stories that you get from crazy people; sorry.

First, the bottom line: I have a new Windows 8.1 system and downloaded the AP trial just to be sure it would run before buying it. But it crashes before even displaying the AP splash screen; I get the Crash Reporter that says AP has "unexpectedly quit."

And here's the complete story: I tried AP before on Win7 but it wouldn't run because the Aero didn't work no matter what I did. So I downloaded a trial version of Win8 so I could try AP; it worked fine so I bought it (AP). In  just a few days I developed a vision problem (possibly permanent) and couldn't use AP so I got a refund. sigh.

So now, vision problem (sort of) worked out, I bought Win8 and I'm settled in with it so I tried the trial version of AP and it won't even start up, just gives me the crash reporter.

If this matters, I have Win8 dual-booting with Win7 in the same machine I was using before. Is there possibly a cookie or something telling the trial that I've already run it, even though it was on Win7?

• Staff

Hi ncJohn,

The Affinity trials are limited to 10 days from when first opened. If it's been over 10 days, they have now expired and won't be able to be used again. If it's less than 10 days, try resetting the app by following the steps below.

1, Hold down the CTRL key and open the app.

2, When the window appears, release the CTRL key

3, Click the Clear button, the app should continue to load.

Thanks, Lee. I downloaded it just yesterday. When I tried what you suggested, it simply took an "unhandled exception," nothing more.

By the way, I have un- and re-installed AP and it didn't help. Also, it's no longer showing the crash reporter, only the unhandled exception window.

• Staff

Once you receive the prompt for the crash report, can you check the following folder for the crash report and attach it for me to check.

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports

Looks like I found the problem: a little thing called FastPictureViewer. It was installed in the first Win8 system before AP, and I installed it in the second system after AP was working and before it stopped working. I uninstalled it from both systems and now AP seems to be fine.

Thanks for your help.