realrobtaylor

Affinity Designer crashing after latest update

Following a recent update to 1.5.3.69 running on Windows 10, Affinity Designer has taken to locking up (often) and crashing (occasionally). I've not yet spotted any pattern as to when this occurs, or under what conditions.

When it locks up, Windows doesn't flag it up as having stopped responding. However, it does not respond to any clicks or keyboard commands.

I have discovered that it can be "revived" by selecting Close All Windows after right clicking the icon on the Windows 10 toolbar. It proceeds to close the program and, if something is not saved, it asks me if I want to save changes, discard changes or cancel the close. Selecting "cancel" allows me to continue with my work.

If everything is saved, the program dutifully closes and must be restarted.

When crashing, AD usually gives me a crash report. But not always. Which is what prompted me to write this.

I think I still have the previous version in my downloads folder, so I will try to roll back to hat version until this is fixed. (The previous version worked perfectly.)

Hey realrobtaylor,

We didn't make any massive changes in build 69 so I'm not entirely sure what may have changed for you to make the app less stable. I would absolutely encourage you to try using the previous version if you have it. If not, let me know and I'll send you a download.

Have you had the opportunity to see if the beta is any more stable?

I see this topic is from 31 May and was wondering if there is a fix for the locking up problem...  I just opened my program, started a new project, created a pixel layer to do a gradient and the program locked up with no indication as to why...  Don't know if it matters but the HDD drive light isn't flashing or steady like it usually does when running a program...  I can close the program via the task manager, reopen the program and again, create a new file but the minute I attempt any kind of change to the project the program locks up...!

I will peruse the forum to see if there are answers to this issue... Feel free to provide me with links - should there be some - to discussions on the program locking up...

"...life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..." john lennon

Hey ScootCoot,

Have you considered using the beta? There have been countless improvements and reliability fixes since the last 1.5 release. It might be worth installing the beta just to see if your issue still isn't resolved. If it isn't, we can take a proper look at what might be happening. 

Thanks, Chris B... Yes, I have downloaded the beta version 1.6.x.xx, installed it, opened it only to be greeted with "invalid product key", then clicking OK the program closes... You can see my other comments regarding the beta version here in the forum...

I ended up uninstalling the beta version and am back to using my current version of 1.5.3.69 which seems to now be working okay...  I will just wait until the new stable version is released to update then...

"...life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..." john lennon

1 hour ago, ScootCoot said:

Thanks, Chris B... Yes, I have downloaded the beta version 1.6.x.xx, installed it, opened it only to be greeted with "invalid product key", then clicking OK the program closes... You can see my other comments regarding the beta version here in the forum...

Hi, could you email your licence.xml file to support@seriflabs.com please? It's in the location of the customer beta directory (usually something like C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer Customer Beta).

11 hours ago, ScootCoot said:

Thanks for the reply, Mark... I will send the file...  Please be so kind as to let me know you receive it... ;)

Hi, I've got the file thanks. I've verified that there is nothing wrong with the product key. Have you installed the beta into the same directory as the 1.5 version?

Thanks... Appreciate the notification...  As per installation of the beta version - I may have installed it in the same directory, but can't be sure... I have uninstalled the beta version so would have to go through history files to check whether it was indeed installed in the same directory of the original AD install...  Anyway, AD seems to be working without freezing or locking up...  One other problem that could cause AD to lock up / freeze would be a memory hog program running in the background or even an antivirus program running its scan in the background...

It's at times like this that I think I should just have one computer strictly dedicated to just Affinity Designer with no other bloatware installed in said computer...!  :)