You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printed stroke width problem

If I print a drawing from Affinity Designer all the line widths are printed 10 times the width they should be.  If I print the same drawing but check the "Rasterize entire page" box under the "Rasterization" option in the print dialogue all the line are printed correctly.  Has anyone any idea what's going on here?  Have I missed an option somewhere?

Hi 59,

Welcome to the forum...

Silly question, but are you setting the line widths using the 'Stroke' option? I don't think you've missed anything... As a test, if you create a series of lines using the pen tool and give each a different line weight, then export the file as a pdf. Open the pdf back into AD and check the line weight for each line, you should see they are identical.

If you are still having a problem can you attach a sample file AF file so we can take a look...

S

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Are you able to upload the file in question or a sample that doesn't print correctly, it would be much easier to diagnose the issue...

Hi MagratG,

I can't initially see any issues with your file, it prints out directly, as expected to my printer... Out of interest, I noted the JPEG you provided shows the lines with 'Butt' or 'Square Cap' ends, whereas the AF file itself has 'Round Cap' ends... Just wondering if they are one in the same file, not that it should make any difference...

What printer are you printing to out of interest?

I'm using a Laserjet 2055dn printer. 

I hadn't spotted the square ends of the printed lines - all the 'black' hit me first!  I've just printed it again to check but, yes, the printed version does have square ends!

I've just tried changing the document setup dpi to 1200 - which is the printer's dpi.The resulting printout has changed now.  The printed 2mmline has about the same width as the actual 5mm line is. 

Setting the document dpi to 2400 makes a printout that is pretty close to the pdf and fully rasterized versions - but still has square ends!

Something very odd going on here.

Incidentally, I'm using the latest beta version of Designer - 1.6.0.71 (beta).

An update.  I've just printed this out on a Brother Colour Laser, an  HL-3140cw.  It printed perfectly!  I'd also set the document dpi back to the normal 300.   The problem seems to be with the HP Laserjet then.  Could it be with the way the printer driver tells Designer it's capabilities and settings?

Fixed it!

After spending the afternoon clearing out all the HP printer drivers from my system I installed the standard driver for my Windows 7-64bit system.  Clicked print on my 'Line' job and low and behold no difference, still wrong!  However, I found that the driver offers six 'Print Processors' in it's Properties.  I've always left this set to the default setting - hpcpp093.  Whereas I've never had a problem printing anything before (including Duplex) I've found that setting it to one of the other 'Print Processors' on offer (I've left it on 'winprint' now) all gave my the correct print-out.

Many thanks to all those that helped with suggestions - making me do a bit more fault finding!