You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can anyone please tell me why I can not cut "subtract" a font on top of a shape to get a see through.  I've did this before but can not seem to remember the steps of how I achieved it.   I have attached an example to this comment.  Please, anyone.  thanks.

post-9786-0-60919800-1496183958_thumb.png

That's odd  :wacko:. I have done that sort of subtracting a lot, is the shape not a vector ?

Still, your ERASE method is well worth knowing.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thanks.  I've tried that, did not work" I finally figured it out.  It is the "ERASE" function in blend mode.

But you should still be able to use the boolean. From the example you gave us, it looks accurate since the letters are cut out of the square shape. Is that what you are trying to achieve?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I am thinking maybe it had something to do with it being a text as to why it did not allow me to cut its shape onto the square.  However I did try turning the font into a curve shape but still did not work.  But the "ERASE" worked in the blend if you select the type. 

You may have caught a bug. For me, I don't need to convert either the artistic or frame text to curves.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hi,

The method described by rickfoy ("Erase" in the blend) has advantages over "Subtract" or "Combine": it leaves the text editable and movable, it can also apply an effect (Gaussian blur, shadow External, contour ...).

The issue with the blend mode is

That your file will be rasterised on export

If you want to keep vector on export you have to use Boolean methods

If it does not work, upload the file, I'm sure we'll figure it out