You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printed tutorials

I'm brand new to Affinity Design. Not even sure that this program can do what I want. Part of the problem is that I'm not sure exactly what I do want. I'm a very retired music teacher, and I've started playing with graphic design. I have been using other software, so maybe I'm just trying to branch out. I've tried a couple of the video tutorials, but the tutors often talk too fast. That, coupled with my hearing problem (daughter was in a band and Daddy was a groupie), makes these tutorials useless for me. (I'm not commenting on the usefulness of the tutorials.) So what I'd like to find is some printed stuff that can get me started. I know there's a book available, but $50 is too much to pay right now. Any suggestions??

Try:

https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/search/Affinity+Designer

They are free although you can sign up for certain things that have fees. Many of these are written out, a preference I share with you.

These tend to be simpler than some and use simple shapes combined to resemble objects. Once you get the idea, graduate to sketch/pen tool tutes because the pen tool is what you really want to accomplish. Happy drawing!

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

Hi, irvson,

I've been using graphics software for quite some time. One of the things that knocked me out about AD was the built in shapes. All of them have variations. The total of variations is in the hundreds. And then you can modify many of them  w. the corner tool. And if you "bake" the corners, every acute corner can also be modified. I spent maybe 3 weeks w. AD just exploring the shapes. 

For your enjoyment:

ShapePrimGamut.afdesign

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi, irvson, I've been using graphics software for quite some time. One of the things that knocked me out about AD was the built in shapes. All of them have variations. The total of variations is in the hundreds. And then you can modify many of them  w. the corner tool. And if you "bake" the corners, every acute corner can also be modified. I spent maybe 3 weeks w. AD just exploring the shapes. 

For your enjoyment:

attachicon.gifShapePrimGamut.afdesign

I DL'd to see how you had put your file together but could not open it in AD 1.5.3.69 Win 10. The fail msg said your file contained features from a later AD version!

Say whut?!   :huh:

I DL'd to see how you had put your file together but could not open it in AD 1.5.3.69 Win 10. The fail msg said your file contained features from a later AD version!

You need to open Greg's file in one of the version 1.6 betas.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Alfred, thanks. That's more effort than I can do at the moment so I'll wait to see Greg's approach when my AD gets updated upon 1.6 announcement.

Ooops, I must have inadvertently saved when I opened in 1.5.6. Attached is the original as saved in 1.5.4, the 1st version I had.

ShapePrimGamut1.5.4.afdesign

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Ooops, I must have inadvertently saved when I opened in 1.5.6. Attached is the original as saved in 1.5.4, the 1st version I had.

attachicon.gifShapePrimGamut1.5.4.afdesign

Much appreciated! I'll try it this evening when I get back to my ol' ASGPOPI *

* (Amazing Super Graphics Producer Of Powerful Imagery)

:lol:

attachicon.gifShapePrimGamut1.5.4.afdesign

Yea! This version opens in my AD. Thanks very much. I see you made not only a great practice document but one you can refer to later to be reminded of the many shapes at your disposal.

@irvson, if you're still listening to this string, download Greg's file just above and open it to see the variations available. Notice the resemblance to leaves, blossoms and many other items in the world. This is the basis of many of the tutes in my referral for you above. Think of this method as an alternative to using the pen tool to step-by-step create more complicated shapes. The pen tool is the way to go; the shapes method makes a good "starter" approach while you practice the pen tool.

Hey, Jer...

I started with computers in the mid 1908s. BOY have things changed/grown!! I downloaded Greg's file, and I got to the printed tutorial you list. Saved it as a PDF file. As you know, there are MANY graphic design programs available. Today I've been using/playing with "Art Text." I've also spent some time with "Aurora 3D Text & Logo Maker." And as an avid Android user, I checked to see what's available in that realm. Installing a couple of those apps didn't help much, because -- even with my 12" tablet -- my hands don't live up to the requirements. Then I thought about the Blue Stacks program installed on my PC. Blue Stacks puts the Android OS on the PC, so I've installed a couple of those graphic design apps. I'm having fun and LEARNING! Lots more to learn.

Hey, Jer...

I started with computers in the mid 1908s. ...

"Art Text." ... "Aurora 3D Text & Logo Maker." ... Blue Stacks graphic design apps. I'm having fun and LEARNING! Lots more to learn.

"I started with computers in the mid 1908s"  

Okay, I've seen some pretty tall tales on this forum but that one wins first place! Apparently, you invented computers!  :rolleyes:  You did see the Imitation Game, right? Where Benedict Cumberbatch played Alan Turing and invented the computer in about 1944 to handle the enigma code? You need to contact the museums and explain that you were there earlier with the invention!  ;) 

You are doing what I do to investigate an area of applications and then toss out the ones that don't live up to expectations. I've learned the hard way that keeping too many overlapping apps around gets costly in future (maintenance/updating/remembering-shortcuts/finding-that-tool) time!

Welcome to Affinity, the forum, and initiating your graphics experience!