watter5

Opening RAW file in Develop persona - Histogram 'crunched' to the left meaning seriously underexposed images

Hi

For the last couple of months when I'm opening RAW files in Affinity Photo, the histogram which looks fine on camera is being 'crunched' to the left and therefore the image is seriously underexposed. 

Attached are  two jpegs showing the histogram on the camera and on the mac when opened in Affinity Photo. (version 1.5.2). The RAW file is too big to attach.

I got someone to open the raw file in Elements and it was fine so I don't think this is a camera issue.

<EDIT> Should have said - this is happening with all my images - not just this one,

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Richard

post-16713-0-78078900-1496170592_thumb.jpg

post-16713-0-12813600-1496170606_thumb.jpg

Hey watter5,

This looks like the same issue as the one AstroMax has pointed out. There are quite a few other threads floating around where users are reporting the same thing. Can you please submit that image to this secure Dropbox link so we can do some proper investigation? 

We have something similar logged so I just want to compare the two issues. Thanks! 

Hi Richard,

Thanks for sending me the file over. I think what we are seeing with the image is a linear histogram which I realise isn't ideal for the end user. We are trying to be mathematically correct but it isn't quite working out. Development are aware and I hope improvements will be made at some point. 

I would try changing the RAW engine to Apple from the Develop Assistant (see screenshot) for the time being. 

post-46-0-45470100-1496305836_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris

Thanks - seems to be much better with the RAW engine set to Apple. Histogram looks as it does on the camera now.

Thanks

Richard

Hi !! I hope I will be able to make you understand what I mean, this isn't my language...

Ok, me too having this issue... If I open the same raw file in Photos and then I open it in Affinity Photo, at first with Apple raw engine and then with Serif engine here in the file attached you can see what happens.

In Affinity the histogram is almost completely in the dark side but this doesn't make sense 'cause the picture was intentionally overexposed in order to get something useful to make HDR... 

Thanks,

Riccardo.

post-62722-0-14705100-1497989596_thumb.png

post-62722-0-70119200-1497989611_thumb.png

post-62722-0-46061100-1497989642_thumb.png

Update: 

In my case I found that setting the Development Assistant tone curve setting to "apply tone curve" was the remedy. Watching the AP Vimeo tutorial on Maximizing Raw Latitude provided the clue. Jump on the Affinity web page and look under the AP Tutorials.  

@Vesumnar - Yes, your issue looks like the one we have logged. Can you confirm if Apple RAW is a good work around for you at the moment?

@EVM80D - Thanks for the advice. I've just tested it and it does appear to help.

@Vesumnar - Yes, your issue looks like the one we have logged. Can you confirm if Apple RAW is a good work around for you at the moment?

@EVM80D - Thanks for the advice. I've just tested it and it does appear to help.

Hi ! Thanks for your replys. No, the problem persist and nothing suggested seem to work to solve it. The istogram can't be in that way... In a picture where the exposition is set to achieve the maximum details from the shadows and dark area and it look like this how you con see, the instogram it seem instead from a picture taken even underexposing a little bit...