You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Infrared Simulation

smadell

I’ve created a macro that can simulate the look of Infrared Photography. It expands on the method that James outlined in his tutorial video, adding a few additional flourishes. The macro is attached and can be imported into Affinity Photo.

To import the macro, select the “hamburger” icon at the top, right of the Library panel. Choose “Import Macros…”

post-12953-0-15042500-1496168301_thumb.jpg

Start by choosing a Pixel layer. Click the macro and you will get a lovely infrared-looking image.

1) If you adjust the opacity of the layer named “Infrared Inverted” you can add more or less color to the image.
2) True infrared images have a softness and graininess to them. Because of that, I have included a Noise layer and a Diffuse Glow layer. Feel free to adjust them, or turn them off.
3) If the image has too much pink to suit your liking, open the HSL layer and switch to the Reds. Lower the Saturation until the pinkish color is muted or gone.
4) I have placed a Lens Filter adjustment at the top of the layer stack. It is a blue filter, which will cool the image a bit. By default, it is turned off. Turn it back on to apply it.

Here is the macro in action:

post-12953-0-87868400-1496168319_thumb.jpg

Infrared.afmacros.zip

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Thank you smadell, for being positive and sharing your inovations.

Sometimes there are people on this site that seem to believed whining is cool. It makes me so angry, so I really appreciate members like you.

I downloaded your macro and will try it out.

Your kind words put a smile on my face, p_mac.

I have learned so much from the generousity of other users on this forum. I hope I can give back even a fraction of what I've been given.

As to whining about what AP cannot yet do, well, I guess I'm simply happy about all the things it can do.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

It's quite nice. Not sure if i will use if often, but it's good to have it available as on option. Thanks!

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

Thank you, all. I have to admit that I agree with RNKLN - this is not a technique or look that I will use often. I think it can be overused to the point of cliché. But, in small amounts and with the right image, it is a treatment I enjoy. I'm so glad that others think so too.

Good morning, wmmallette.

As far as I know, the iPad version of Affinity Photo has no provision to create or play back macros. Therefore, something like my "Infrared Simulation" macro would not be an available option. Nevertheless, there is nothing to prevent you from doing all of this manually (except the tedium of it, of course). The first thing I would do is look at the AP tutorial for Infrared Emulation by James Ritson  The link is:

).

My macro is similar, although there are a few extra layers involved. Even though the video describes the process for the Desktop version of Affinity Photo, all of the steps involved could easily be performed within the iPad version.

• 1 year later...
On 5/30/2017 at 7:23 PM, smadell said:

Your kind words put a smile on my face, p_mac.

I have learned so much from the generousity of other users on this forum. I hope I can give back even a fraction of what I've been given.

As to whining about what AP cannot yet do, well, I guess I'm simply happy about all the things it can do.

Thank you for answering so quickly with the link that I’d remembered (now saved) and also for the wonderful macro which does work in the iPad version and, with which I’m enjoying playing/adjusting to my heart’s content. So many layers!  

✍️ I have yet to find where it is that I can save my own macros, but given my early days with his app (already such a relief to get away from Adobe’s subscription model‼️)  I hope to be more proficient before I start writing foolish ones.and leaving them all over the ring places.

Thank you!

Edited by BarnettArt

On 6/12/2017 at 9:25 AM, wmmallette said:

Is there anything like this for the iPad version of AP?

Yes, just download and install the macro from Smadell, the apply to various images of interest, bearing in mind that every new layer created by running the macro can be adjusted to work best for each image and also to suit your taste. It’s fairly easy to end up spending hours on an image or two as you learn what every layer’s effect on the original is adding or taking from it.

On 5/30/2017 at 6:22 PM, smadell said:

I’ve created a macro that can simulate the look of Infrared Photography. It expands on the method that James outlined in his tutorial video, adding a few additional flourishes. The macro is attached and can be imported into Affinity Photo.

Hi smadell, thank you for sharing :)

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Thank you smadell, this is working perfectly on my iPad version of Affinity Photo :D

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Because of changes in the way some Adjustment Layers are coded, I have posted updated versions of this macro (and of several others). While the existing macros, downloaded from this page, still work, the updated macros are a little bit cleaner and do not display the "nag screen" about updating a legacy adjustment.

Download the updated version here: