You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've been trying to learn how to do greyscale merging by following James Ritson's video on the topic.  As with all of his tutorials the approach is admirably clear, but I'm having a real issue with one particular step.

When I create a greyscale layer of, in this case, the blue channel, instead of a a greyscale and a colour layer, the thumbnails show as two colour layers.  When I move the new layer down, as per the tutorial, they both change to greyscale.  So when I then do the next step of apply image, there is no difference between the two.  Yet James's video clearly shows one layer in colour and one in greyscale.

I done this over and over again, following the tutorial almost frame by frame.  I'm quite prepared to believe that I have missed one vital step, but if so then I've no idea what it might be.

The only thing I can think of is that James says he is using an HDR image, and I am using a jpg.  Would that make a difference?

I hope that I've made myself clear, happy to provide any necessary clarification.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone may be able to provide.

I just tried with a JPEG file. Not HDR

I right clicked on the "Background" green channel, (at the time there was only one layer) clicked on Create Greyscale Layer and immediately got a greyscale layer (grey icon) above the colour layer (colour icon)

So it's not HDR. Small help I know :(

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thanks for resolving that issue.

I've just tried again. and yes, there is a greyscale icon and a colour icon.

But the main image doesn't change regardless of which layer is selected, that's what is confusing me.  

Whereas it does in the tutorial.

What you will see, always, is the top layer, not the selected layer

Drag the bottom layer above and you will see that or turn off the view of the top layer and you will see the layer immediately below.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thanks for the second reply.

I can see what you mean, and I probably didn't explain myself very well.

When I drag the greyscale pixel layer on to the Apply Image panel, it doesn't change from colour, like it does in the tutorial.

I'm probably being very dense here...

Grumpy1954,

I assume you are referring to this video, right?

If so, did you notice that there was no effect until James clicked the Equations box in the Apply Image panel? Also, did you remember to drag the greyscale layer below the background one & select the background image layer in the Layers panel before using the Apply Image panel?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for the reply.

Simple answers: no and yes.

Despite all the times I've watched that tutorial I hadn't made the connection between James clicking the equations box and the change from colour to greyscale.

The world is suddenly a happier place, and my sanity is restored.

Thanks again.