You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows Shortcut Keys Not Working

Hi There - I just started using Affinity Designer and I have run into a strange situation that I just cannot figure out. None of my standard keyboard shortcuts work in Affinity. I have noticed it for all the standard Windows shortcuts - Cntl + C (copy), Cntl + V (paste), etc. The most annoying is not able to Undo using a shortcut. I have searched the forum and Googled the issue, but can't seem to find a solution. I looked at Preferences  > Keyboard Shortcuts and I see all of the correct shortcuts in there, but none of them work - very strange.

I am ready to uninstall and re-install but hoping someone can provide a less intrusive solution.

I am using a Lenovo Ideapad laptop running Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

Thanks!

George

Hi geodan06

Welcome to the forums

I would advise resetting the designers default before doing a reinstall, this does delete any customisation, to reset hold down the CTRL key start Affinity designer, select the clear button.

Thanks jhoy! Unfortunately, I just uninstalled/re-installed prior to seeing your response and unfortunately, that did not correct the issue.

I also then tried your suggestion, but I don't see a clear button when I start Affinity Designer holding down the CTRL key. I tried it both when starting from my desktop and starting from the Programs menu.

Any other suggestions?

If you don't see a dialog with a 'Clear' button, you're pressing the Ctrl key too late or letting go of it too early. Press it and keep it held down while you launch Affinity Designer, continue to keep it held down until the Clear User Data dialog appears, and then release it and press 'Clear' in the dialog. If the problem persists, try again but press 'Select All' before pressing 'Clear'.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks Alfred! The tip worked to get the dialog box to appear at startup. Selecting "Select All" then "Clear" corrects the issue, but once I copy a chart from Excel into Affinity Designer the shortcut keys seem to lock up again. I tried just editing using the document within AD, and all the shortcut keys work fine, but once I copy and paste from Excel into AD, the keys get locked again. I then have to go through the "Select All" and "Clear" option. Strangest thing. I haven't yet tried to copy/paste from a different app.

Any other thoughts on how to resolve this issue?

Hi geodan06

I did try this and all worked ok for me, is it all the shortcut keys?

Could you attach the excel sheet please so that I can try this on my PC.

Also could you provide the make/model of your keyboard and what version of excel you are using please.

Hi jhoy - yes, it is all of the standard Windows shortcut keys and I am using a Lenovo Ideapad 15ISK laptop.

Unfortunately, I can't share the Excel sheet I am using because it is for a client and includes proprietary information. I will try and play around some more and see if it happens with other Excel sheets or even copy/paste from other apps. Stay tuned as I gather this info. BTW, it may be a couple of days as I am getting slammed with work right now.

Thanks for your help!

Okay, I think I have narrowed down the issue. It does not have anything to do with the Excel images that I am copying. What is triggering the shortcut keys to stop working in AD is when I toggle to another app using the "Alt-Tab" Windows shortcut. If I navigate from app to app using either the mouse and the program icons or even the "Windows-Tab" shortcut, everything seems to work fine. It's only once I use the "Alt-Tab" to navigate away then back, does the issue pop up again. 

Seems to be a AD bug to me, but maybe with Win 10, the preferred program/app navigation is "Windows-Tab"?? Have not run into this with any other Windows program I use.

Any thoughts about this would be appreciated.

Hi geodan06

I have just tested this on my Windows 10 64 bit and the short cut keys work fine, I did tab between several programs worked in them tabbed back and short cut keys still work ok, I could not replicate the problem you are having, it does look like it is unique to your setup, I do not think it is your Windows but it could be another piece of software that is running, there is a couple of things to try, when you reset the program can you click the select all and clear, you could also try a clean reboot also maybe worth seeing if this happens in safe mode as most programs are closed in safe mode.

• 11 months later...

The default shortcut on Windows for 'Convert to Curves' is Ctrl+Enter.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...