You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

MacBookPro struggles to open RAF and CR2 files

I am using a 2012 MacBookPro with OS X 10.8.5

I do not want to update my OS as I am then forced to use Adobe Cloud LR and PS, which I do not want to do. I am trying to move away from LR6 and CS6 and am working more and more on AP.

My one challenge with AP 1.5.2 is that my Fujifilm (RAF) and Canon (CR2) RAW files load very slowly in AP.  It takes approximately 35 seconds to open a RAF file, and a further 15 seconds to get it into the Develop Persona. A RAW file opens in about 15 seconds and another 5 seconds for Develop Persona. The CR2 file opens immediately in CS6, so it cannot be the Macbook.  I cannot open the RAF file in SC6 as my version of SC6 do not recognise the RAF files.

Any suggestions to help speed up the process will be very helpful and will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jfisfer

I have sent the RAF file via  Dropbox to you.  This particular file took 26 seconds to load on Affinity 1.5.2

I will greatly appreciate any assistance.

Kind regards

Anton

Hi Gerican

No problem, thanks for sending the file :)

I am also running 1.5.2 but on a iMac with 8GB RAM and the file takes a while to open for me too. Loading times for RAW files may vary between systems, we are aware of some RAW files taking a long time to open and it is something that the developers want to improve as development of the app continues. 

To both JFisher and MEB,

Many thanks for your prompt responses, I sincerely hope that you achieve great success with Affinity Photo as I am sure many people want to migrate from Adobe to something more acceptable than the rental model, I definitely want to. 

Some of  my main requirements are to process multiple images at the same time as I can do in Lightroom, just save and paste the setting made to an image to one or more images with two clicks.  I also am not yet totally convinced that in general the RAW processing in AP is up to the standard of LR and PS, I may be wrong

I am using AP more and more so hopefully one day I can move all my processing to AP.

Kind regards

• Staff

Hi Gerian,

Thanks for your words. Affinity Photo doesn't manage photo libraries nor perform the same type of functions as typical DAM software like applying  the same adjustments to multiple photos (from the same set). It's strictly a RAW converter/developer and photo editing/painting app comparable to Photoshop + Adobe Camera RAW. We do have plans to develop a DAM application but it may still take some time until we get there (check our FAQ for more info).