You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ahh this is driving me crazy. I can't find ANYWHERE how to change the starting point of a closed shape. I need this for some complex brush work I'm doing. Attached is a crude example showing a circle with a variable width brush. Imagine I need to change the starting node (the red node). Surely this is possible? I have a bit of urgency here so if anyone could help asap it would be super appreciated :)

post-6787-0-11590900-1496146933_thumb.png

As you said you're up against time I can offer two simple suggestions:
* For circles you can just rotate them so the starting point moves around.
* For more control you can try converting the shape to curves and then adding a break at a node (or creating a new node and breaking at that point).

Not sophisticated but they might work good enough for what you need.

You can close the shape with the close icon (next to the break icon) but - as far as I know - Affinity always creates a new line segment between the start and end points. A "closed" shape should always have a continuous outline so that makes sense.

You can also join two curves but the resultant curve will only have one stroke. It's a single line so that makes sense too.

Adding the lines together also creates a single stroke and that's expected too.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve. If you can show a good example - something that's not simple - (any kind of mock-up or something you've seen elsewhere) then it might be easier to come up with a solution. I can't think of why you would want to close the curve after you have got the result you wanted but there's a good possibility that I just don't understand your requirements.

Try this. Draw the  shape. Select the red start node, and click on break curve. Go to the node where you want the start. Break curve there. Don't move anything. The 2 new curves should be selected. Use the Boolean add. The 2nd break point turns into the new start point.

See three variants:

post-34886-0-63224500-1496229107_thumb.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

gdenby, I don't see how the result of all that is any different to simply breaking the curve at any node like I said earlier.

It sounds like it uses extra steps for no advantage. Am I missing something?

When I break a curve, and then re-close it, the break point does become the new start, but the control handles usually seem to change, giving a loop in the stroke. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Ah, I see, that's a good point and well worth knowing about. Those little - mostly hidden - loops can cause lots of problems if you're not careful.

I'm not entirely sure that neigh actually needs to close the curve - even though they said they want to - but I think we need them to show us exactly what they're trying to do. Otherwise we might be giving advice about something totally different.

......Breaking the node works, but I can't seem to figure out how to close the shape again, any pointers?

When I break a curve, and then re-close it, the break point does become the new start, but the control handles usually seem to change, giving a loop in the stroke. 

Add a new node and break it, or break an existing node.

Then, at that new break pull one of the nodes away and then back on top of the other (The point will turn yellow).

They will join and preserve the handle positions and angles. No extra little loop.

(the boolean option is nice, but it does leave points on top of points, if that matters to you)

(the boolean option is nice, but it does leave points on top of points, if that matters to you)

If it does matter to you, marquee-select the coincident points with the Node Tool and then Shift-click to deselect the top one. Pressing the Delete key on your keyboard should delete all of the selected nodes, leaving only the one that you deselected at the previous step.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

If it does matter to you, marquee-select the coincident points with the Node Tool and then Shift-click to deselect the top one. Pressing the Delete key on your keyboard should delete all of the selected nodes, leaving only the one that you deselected at the previous step.

This will destroy the curve.

But I guess it's fine for straight lined shapes. I should add that while shift select picks the top node, CMD click selects the bottom.

It's a nice bit of key stroke functionality, but a bit like closing the barn door once the horse is already out  :D .

Why in the world should I have to stop the work flow to hunt for and delete extra points ;) ? 

Upon closer inspection of the particular scenario in this thread, it seems like the Boolean Add doesn't actually place coincident points. It creates two points really close together. Which is equally annoying.

JimmyJack, dragging a node away and then back again until it turns yellow is a great little tip, thanks for sharing.

Alfred, unfortunately, as JimmyJack said, deleting the extra node does ruin the curve - at least it does every time I've tried it - so that doesn't seem to be good if you need the shape to stay the same (with curves at least).

It would be nice if AD could realise that the two end nodes were co-incidental and close the curve without making a new connecting line segment.

P.S. I've just noticed that pressing the "comma" or "period" key with a node selected breaks the curve at that node. Not particularly mind-blowing but could be useful to someone.

Thanks for your help guys. I got it done, but man was it a hassle! This was one of my first commercial projects using AD. Its nice, but some aspects (like this issue) made the process a little frustrating. Anyway, thanks again for your help <3