You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drawing a circular or rectangular selection from a centre point

I have asked this very basic question before but never received an answer. So I am trying again.

Is there a way to draw a circular (or rectangular) selection from a centre point? With the shape tool and all transformations this is done in a consistent manner by holding down the Cmd key. With selections the Cmd key is (inconsistently) elsewhere assigned. 

Since most of my selections end up being converted to a mask layer I have a work around by drawing a shape layer and then rasterising to a mask and dragging it in the layers palette to where I need it. But it's irritating and seems rather unnecessary.

Am I missing something embarrassingly obvious here?  :unsure:

• Staff

Hi DavidMac,

No, currently it's not possible to create selections from their centre, but you can draw a shape (circle, rectangle or whatever) from their centre holding down the ⌘ (cmd) key, press ⌘ (cmd) + ↵ (Enter) to convert the shape to curves then change to the Pen Tool and click on the Selection or Mask buttons in the context toolbar to convert the shape to one of these options.

Which is just as convoluted as my own workaround!  :(

Which begs the question why is something so utterly basic so needlessly complicated?

Sorry Miguel. I don't mean to sound churlish. Thank you for your, as always, very swift and concise reply.  :)

• Staff

Yes, it is convoluted. I don't meant to suggest that process as a solution. It's the only way to get there now so I mentioned it on my reply.

These modifiers weren't implemented for selections yet but I believe there's plans to do so whenever the dev team find some time to do it.

You didn't sound churlish nor anyone is taking this personally, no worries :) I understand how frustrating these things can be. The only explanation i can give you is the lack of time/development resources (programmers) to meet users expectations/requests that quickly. I've told this a few times but we do have a small team and they are certainly giving the best they can to close the gaps. Serif is already hiring more developers and hopefully things will get on track as we move on.

I'm moving this thread to the Feature requests section as it has more chances to be seen there.

In that case would you be so kind as to move this reply with it please. I would request that Cmd be reassigned to drawing from a central point which would make it consistent with all the other tools and that moving contents with selection be assigned a new key combo.

IMHO consistency in the use of modifiers across tools is vital to ease of use. Thanks Miguel.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
28 minutes ago, Jixal said:

Can we please get this simple and basic utility added in 2021. What's the legit reason to not have it? To close to Photoshop? Would that make it copying? :P.

Circular marquee selection was changed in v1.9 to be drawn from the centre

(But not Rectangular, as yet)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 1 year later...