You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm having some troubles with the dashed line. The corners of the icon doesnt look the way I had hoped. Is there any saetting I have missed or am I doing any thing wrong? I would like to have the corners sharp.. The size of the artboard is 64x64 and the icon has the same values and is placed in the center.

Any advice?

post-57090-0-16189400-1496135601_thumb.png

post-57090-0-26053700-1496135619_thumb.png

• Staff

Increase your Miter limit to at least 1.5 and all should be well :)  Miter limit is the point at which a sharp corner will decay into a bevel corner - at present you have it set to '1 line width', so when it goes around a corner, it would require it to be greater than one line width (in this case, a 90 degree corner like you have would require sqrt(2) as the value, so just put 1.5 and it will work fine)

I think that made more sense in my head than when I typed it, sorry... :)

Thanks MattP, unfortunatly I cannot see any change in the bahaviur if I change the miter limit. I tried with several different values but none changed anything.  :(

What I did discover is that when I zoom in and out I get different behaviuors (Cannot attache the files for some reson). But the exported version of the icon looks bad to me.

Don't know if this gives the result you want, but try changing the phase to 1. The corner dashes will double, but they will be square.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

After playing with this for a while, I fear the only workaround will be making the borders of your icon from single rectangles. Of course, you could use the center align method that JimmyJack has suggested, but you would have to place the rectangle differently on the grid in order to create a 64 by 64 pixels rectangle, and the result would look like this below.  :(

(Indeed, zooming in and out seems to cure the issue, but the export is wrong nonetheless.)

post-1198-0-38871700-1496161436_thumb.png

Thanks everyone, I think I will be making the border manually then.. :(

Well, not sure how manual "manually" is  ;) .

If the dimensions of the individual dashes aren't super critical...

I'd just use the center aligned option since it works, then expand stroke and size that whole unit down a couple pixels.

Well, not sure how manual "manually" is  ;) .

If the dimensions of the individual dashes aren't super critical...

I'd just use the center aligned option since it works, then expand stroke and size that whole unit down a couple pixels.

Well it's quite critical since the icon already exists and I'm just replication the orginal file from Illustrator. So it has to look the same. 

all done now, but now it has been reported as a bug.

• 4 years later...

For and a half years later this still hasn't been fixed – frankly: it's a bloody shame! Sometimes I wonder if Serif really does want us to go back to the Big A’s apps that we thought we had left for good... Often it's the small things which make the big difference!