You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Separate Curve from Multi-curve Layer

Hi Callum,

Thanks for your reply. I didn't realize that the divide button can be used for that purpose (I guess I am still thinking in terms of AI)!

For small groups of curves it's easy to use this method. But when you have large number of curves (such as a pattern) and I just want to copy only one or two elements from it - is there a way to do it quickly without of creating large number of objects that I need to join back again.

separate_curves_2.png

• Staff

Hi saikat,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

No, you can't select a few paths from the pattern (compound path) without breaking it (divide it). I would duplicate the pattern layer and move it away from the original on canvas, divide it, select the objects you want and move them aside and delete the rest from the duplicate.

Hi MEB, 

Thank you for the reply.

I am trying to use AD for technical design work where I import CAD drawing (DXF import is not yet supported, but I export PDF from the CAD programs) and trying to edit it in AD to create presentation etc.

Now, when I import PDF exported from CAD I notice that many lines  are in the same compound curve layer. I thought I can use the divide method to separate the lines and then regroup them according to my need. But when I try to use the divide - it closes the lines making it unusable. Is there any work around?

I recorded a gif to explain the issue: 

vbVrrq.gif

• 2 years later...

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but the above post, with the animated GIF describes my problem best.

I just started using affinity, but this problem, is a deal-breaker for most of my work. Why do the separated curves close when they are divided? Is there any workaround yet? It works fine in adobe...

• 10 months later...