Sign in to follow this  
Michael Rosa

Help Porting Work-Flow With Channels/Layers/Alphas

Sup people!

I've been checking out this application and I'm really impressed with what it can do. I've been porting over my Photoshop work flows, and it has handled every task I've thrown at it. And like everyone else, I'm just looking for a little help. I've been trying to figure out the layers/channels tools in Affinity, and how to use them.

I'm an environment artist and this is specific to my terrain workflow. During the production process, I've always taken my textures for a few passes through Photoshop. As part of my editing, I would use masks that I've created to edit specific areas of my diffuse texture. Example: Copy my masks into the alpha channel and start working with "Adjustments", "Layer Effects", etc. Thing is, I can't seem to get Affinity to perform the same tasks. I've checked a few of the Channels/Masks tutorials, but I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Either that, or I'm missing something. 

I have provided a screenshot of the WIP terrain, as well as the diffuse texture and masks. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

1lCw8eP.jpg

bIgGVps.jpg

oi838hM.jpg

mIAvWuB.png

vZJZyeA.jpg

xQwtpoj.jpg

Hello Michael,

load the greyscale textures as layers, for using them as masks,

rightclick on the image, rasterise it.

within the channels tab,(if you are in greyscale mode)  rightclick on the intensity cannel and use

'create Mask Layer'.

28IKAtg.png

when done with all Masks, turn the document into RGB to load your coloured image.

for each mask, use a copy of the coloured image and  group it.

now you can use Layer effects which will only take effect within that group.

one possible result could be this;

jspRDzT.jpg
cheers myclay

gumroad.com/myclay | timurariman.com
Windows 10 Pro - 1903 | Ryzen 2700 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB  | 64GB |
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX500 1TB | WD Black PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |