You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In Affinity Designer the swatches palette has a "recent" area that shows recently used colours. The odd thing for me is it will show many different swatches of the same colour. Why is this? This seems confusing and redundant to me. I would think that colours of the same value should only appear once in the "recent" colours. Is this the way it was planned or has something gone awry? I wasn't sure whether to post this in the "Feature Requests" or the "Questions" but because I'm not sure about the reasoning behind the current behaviour I posted it here. 

• Staff

Hi Hokusai

This is by design. The idea behind recent swatches isn't to show a selected subset of recent used colours, but to list sequentially all the colours as you pick them no matter from where you are picking/applying them (including the recent swatches panel).

If you're frequently reusing colours from the Recent section it may be wise to create a custom palette from the colours used in you document. You can automatically generate one going to Swatches Panel preferences (the menu on the top of the panel on the right) and selecting Create Palette From Document (usually as a Document Palette; Application, Document and System Palette options are only available in the latest beta). You can then add more colours selecting an object with the color you want and clicking on the small palette icon on the Swatches panel.

MEB,

Thanks for the answer. I didn't realise it was by design but it helps to know the thinking behind the idea. While I can now understand the idea behind the "recent" swatches on the Swatches Palette it still seems odd to me that the same colour would appear more than once in the recent colours. For me, it doesn't matter when I used a colour or even how many times I used it, it only matters that I have used a colour (and that I have access to that colour again should I want to use it later). So for colours to be listed sequentially is unnecessary (from my perspective) and as well, to have multiple swatches of any one colour only makes things confusing. Why would someone need to know what colours were used when? Thanks for the tip on creating a Swatches palette, that's helpful (but the "recent" is still the same no matter what palette I use). 

Hokusai