You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inverting a Mask - how to do that in Affinity Photo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello,

I've run into a problem trying to invert a mask in Affinity. While selecting Cmd+i (Mac OSX High Sierra) the mask does seem to invert but the mask icon that appears in the layer panel does not indicate that it has been inverted. The only way I can invert the mask and have the icon indicate that it is indeed inverted is by right clicking on the mask and selecting Cmd+r to release the mask. The mask then shoots to the top of the layer stack. I then have to invert the mask and drag in down into its proper position. This seems rather cumbersome.

Grateful any suggestions

• 1 year later...

Hi, created a mask by selecting the sky in photo wanting to mask off the sky and keep the ground showing but the mask keep the sky showing and masks out the ground.  How can I flip that so the sky is masked off - it seems counter intuitive to have selected the sky and then create a mask from the selected area to find that that area is not masked off, in fact the opposite happens - the unselected area gets masked off.

It seems a bit like Windows - you know - scroll up to scroll down !! 

• 2 years later...

I have tried this on the desktop version and it doesnt seem to work as described. I think whats desired here is to invert the effect of the mask so that the area outside the shape gets visible and the object itself reveals the masked layer. Did anyone here manage to do this in Affinity?

For demonstration purposed I faked it by making the circle a donut and enlarging it until it covers all the masked layer. 

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-30 um 23.46.38.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-30 um 23.45.50.png

You are using vector shapes, not bitmap mask layers.

Consequently, you need a different workflow. For vector shapes, you need to directly manipulate the shapes.

• create a rectangular shape in the size of the canvas, fill white with 100% alpha
  • Create second shape, fill with white again
  • Geometry>subtract on both vector shapes.
  • nest rectangle to masking position of other layer.

you could even create a compound shape, but Affinity forced collapsed if a compound is used in masking position making it hard to edit the compound.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.