You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ap: q - sky replacement with layers

i try to do a sky replacement and i am confused:

top layer: sky
bottom layer: foreground

when applying a (live) filter one can use the black/white brush to hide/apply the filter. the is equivalent to painting the mask layer in my understanding.

in your video „sky replacement“ the resulting mask is not b/w but erased/not-erased areas.

shouldn’t it be white=image above / black = image below?
are there different kind of masks?

thank you for your help

yet another affinity photo user 
jörg

• Staff

Hi jörg,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is because Affinity applies the mask in realtime to the layer, so whatever is white in the mask translates to visible areas in the image layer while black translates to hidden/invisible areas. If you want to edit/see the mask as a greyscale image press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) and click on the mask's thumbnail in the layers panel. This also applies to the built-in mask of all adjustments/filters - white will let the adjustment/filter affect the image layer(s) its applied to while black blocks/hides the effect of the adjustment/filter on the image layer.

• Staff

Hi yaapu,

As I said Affinity Photo applies the mask in realtime. This is by design. You can paint over the mask with black and white as you are used to but Affinity shows immediately the result of the mask being applied to the layer. You don't see the greyscale mask by default. If you want to see or edit the mask in greyscale mode, press and hold ALT and click on the mask's thumbnail in the Layers panel.