You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any chance of a Priemer replacement i.e. Affinity Video?

I think we can all agree that affinity photo and serif are fantastic products that dethrone adobe products. Are there plans to expand the product line for a replacement to Adobe premiere? I think we would all love to have a pure Affinity worksuite from video to photo to vector illustrations.

No.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

No.

Curiously, in the FAQs thread the answer to the question "Do you plan to have Web site design/Digital Asset Management/animation/video editing products too?" is a rather more noncommittal "We’re not sure yet!"

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I think we can all agree that affinity photo and serif are fantastic products that dethrone adobe products. Are there plans to expand the product line for a replacement to Adobe premiere? I think we would all love to have a pure Affinity worksuite from video to photo to vector illustrations.

It has been asked for quite a few times before, but the response on here from Serif was that they aren't researching or planning any video editing software for now.

Some of us (myself included) would like Serif to create software to replace all the software we use, from animation software, to video editing, to an Office Suite.  :)  However, as much as it's a compliment to Serif, I get the impression that they've currently already got their hands full with Publisher, Photo and Designer improvements, the iPad version of Affinity Photo, Affinity DAM software, etc. and so don't have time at the moment even if they wanted to.

Never say never I guess, but if you want to ditch Adobe Premiere right now, you could always try DaVinci Resolve 12.5 for video editing and see how you get on with it.  The free verison limits project mastering and output to Ultra HD resolutions (3840 X 2160) or lower, but that shouldn't be too problematic for a lot of people.  If you scroll to the bottom of the page at the below link, on the left you'll see the download links for both the free version of DaVinci Resolve 12.5 and a public beta version of the upcoming DaVinci Resolve 14:

Download Page Link:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/davinciresolve

DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Tutorials Playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyHr4tji72rUvEooOCYTJVyjIzRcJp3b0

To clarify, my "no" was mostly directed at the statement that all of us agree that these are fantastic products that "dethrone adobe products." Clearly, that is not true.

But beyond that, consider that a signature feature of the Affinity line is a 'universal' native file format that both of the existing products can open & edit without conversion or corrupting anything only the other app can create. It is going to be hard enough to maintain that with Publisher. Imagine how much harder that would be if a video editing app was added to the line.

I think the chances of that are vanishingly small.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

When team will multiple twenty times Serif can be consider video app, but now is not make sense for me. At this time they make 5-6 applications simultanously (Designer for Mac and Windows, Photo for Mac and Windows and Affinity Publisher probably for two platforms two). In my humble opinion will be better for Serif make tree outstandind app for DTP, raster and vector design to make difference. On another way we will have to wait few times longer for improvment. At this stage of Affinity evolution after 5-10 years can be a reall alternative from versions AD/AP/APu 3 or 4. Stability, new funcionality and design will make difference.

At this stage on page Quark I found info about professional recommended application to work with QuarkXPress is Photoshop and Affinity Photo what was very nice supprice for me. 

• Staff

affi.usr, spot on.

Customers want us to be replacing everything that they have bought or rent from others. We want to make superb compelling software, which currently means not being all things to all people.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Customers want us to be replacing everything that they have bought or rent from others. We want to make superb compelling software, which currently means not being all things to all people.

To paraphrase a dead U.S. president, you can be all things to some of the people & some things to all of the people, but you cannot be all things to all of the people.  ;)

Affinity Photo