You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to remove glare on this beetle?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Janice. :)

You can't really recover details that are completely blown out, but you can improve the definition of the overall image by duplicating it and setting the blend mode of the duplicate layer to 'Multiply'.

To work at the pixel level (so that you can correct small areas of the photo instead of treating the entire photo as a single object) right-click the duplicate layer in the Layers panel and choose 'Rasterize'. As for the correction itself, the Clone Brush Tool is a bit of a blunt instrument: I think you'll better results with the Healing Brush Tool (which blends in information from the source area rather than simply stamping it on top of the area you're working on).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I wonder how you got this glare. It is unusual for the light to be reflected back to the lens from an oblique surface such as this. Where was the flash in relation to the beetle?

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Janice. :)

You can't really recover details that are completely blown out, but you can improve the definition of the overall image by duplicating it and setting the blend mode of the duplicate layer to 'Multiply'.

To work at the pixel level (so that you can correct small areas of the photo instead of treating the entire photo as a single object) right-click the duplicate layer in the Layers panel and choose 'Rasterize'. As for the correction itself, the Clone Brush Tool is a bit of a blunt instrument: I think you'll get better results with the Healing Brush Tool (which blends in information from the source area rather than simply stamping it on top of the area you're working on).

Thank you for your advice.  Will try it out.

I like the clone tool. The only problem is, knowing what should be there, i.e. in the head between the eyes.  Once you get a bit of detail in you could select the area and use HSL Adjustments to darken it, or change the colour.

Play around with the brush size, the opacity and the hardness. If you set the opacity of the clone stamp lower, you can go over the area two or three times to blend it in.

A bit of blurring using the blur tool (droplet) at very low opacity, say 20% can blend in the odd artifact.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Great tips here, additionally use the colour picker and paint over areas which you want to change with the same lightness value and then use the patch tool to copy details over.

For fixing the eyes;
use Highpass, set it to Hard light and the live high pass to contrast negate.

most important part; use masks to isolate the effects to certain areas.
and use Layers when using the patching.

Add HSL Shift Adjustment or other adjustments for changing the overall colour.

There are probably more ways to fix this image but for a start this should help. :)

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

I like the clone tool. The only problem is, knowing what should be there, i.e. in the head between the eyes.  Once you get a bit of detail in you could select the area and use HSL Adjustments to darken it, or change the colour.

Play around with the brush size, the opacity and the hardness. If you set the opacity of the clone stamp lower, you can go over the area two or three times to blend it in.

A bit of blurring using the blur tool (droplet) at very low opacity, say 20% can blend in the odd artifact.

Thank you

Great tips here, additionally use the colour picker and paint over areas which you want to change with the same lightness value and then use the patch tool to copy details over.

For fixing the eyes;

use Highpass, set it to Hard light and the live high pass to contrast negate.

most important part; use masks to isolate the effects to certain areas.

and use Layers when using the patching.

Add HSL Shift Adjustment or other adjustments for changing the overall colour.

There are probably more ways to fix this image but for a start this should help. :)

Thank you for your advice.

• 8 months later...

Practice makes perfect, I know this is a given but experimenting with close-up photography before you take the actual shots can save hours of time later. I used to buy kids toy bugs and set up a small portable studio to test outside and inside, once I'd got a few notes taken down (i.e. formula's for flash settings, angles etc) I'd go and try those formula's out in the real world. Not only do you get better images but you get more images because you know what to do and what to set the camera too prior to taking images. 

I learned a lot from a Professional photographer and he'd just look at a situation manually set the camera and get great results, he said its just a formula for a given setting, dial in the formula you want to express the effect you want people to see.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The best advice: try to avoid flash as much as possible.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)