You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Select the rectangular marquee tool and drag across the lower half of the image.  At the top of the page in the context menu, select refine and feather the edge of the marquee by about 85-90 pixels.

The make the alterations you want.  The marquee will ensure the changes will only apply to the under-exposed part of the image.

This is the perfect situation for luminosity masking. To lighten up the dark areas without over-lightening the light areas, I applied a Curves adjustment with a "reverse S" adjustment. Most importantly, I applied a "Darks 4" luminosity mask to the adjustment layer. You can download my macros at: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/30523-luminosity-masks-for-adjustment-filter-layers/or you can do a search in the forum for "luminosity mask" and work with other solutions from other forum members. Best of all, learn to manually adjust the Blend Options for a layer, and exert even finer control over the process.

post-12953-0-27511700-1495803298_thumb.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

• 9 months later...

So here's a more involved stab at this. The picture needs the dark areas (the grass, trees, and flowers) lightened; it needs some drama in the sky without blowing out the lighter areas. The picture below shows my layer structure for doing this.

Starting with the Original Photo, I applied a Darks 3 luminosity selection, inverted it, and duplicated the layer. This gave me a new pixel layer made up of just the sky. I created a Brightness and Contrast layer, and placed it as a child of the Duplicated (sky) layer. This brought out the shadows and detail in the sky without blowing out the light areas.

I re-selected the Original Photo and did a Darks 2 luminosity selection. With this selection active, I created an HSL Layer, a Brightness and Contrast Layer, and a Curves Layer. In the HSL Layer, I saturated and darkened the Yellows. In the Brightness and Contrast Layer, I increased both. In the Curves Layer, I dragged the Master curve upward, lightening the foreground; I also dragged up the Green curve, causing the grass and trees to brighten up their hues.

Here is the edit, and the Affinity Photo file is also attached.

5ab894eb1825d_EditedPicture.thumb.jpg.a7a850abea101b771a95b22ba00c9488.jpg

Edited_Picture.afphoto

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17