I'm in the process of trying out Affinity Designer to see if it will serve my purposes. The majority of use will be to take .AI files I have, modify them and convert them to .PSD files. Unfortunately, exported files exhibit fragmentation or incomplete data. In the attached image, the black mouth is not solid and the upper frame edge of the goggles is incomplete. Is there something I need to know about exporting to .PSD format that isn't readily apparent? As is, this product will be useless to me. I was hoping for a true Illustrator alternative.

post-60069-0-11050500-1495744846_thumb.png

but did it import well? You see it well in Photo, the issue appears once exported ?

You might want to rasterize some elements previous to export, if that's a possibility... maybe ?

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

Like most other graphics apps, Affinity can only read the embedded PDF stream (if there is one) in AI files. In Illustrator, this is called the "PDF compatibility option," enabled by default.

Unfortunately, the PDF stream often does not contain all the data stored in the proprietary native ai format, & may store some data converted to a more 'universal' third party friendly format that does not preserve ai-specific hierarchies or other proprietary features.

To complicate things even more, older versions of Illustrator stored data in a PostScript-based format that different apps may process differently. A brief explanation of the format can be found here, but the bottom line is for 100% guaranteed preservation of all the data in its native format you pretty much have to use Illustrator.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1