You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello! I do digital painting, and am trying to transition to Affinity. I do a lot of color picking as I paint, and I switch back and forth from the color picker and the paint brush a lot, sampling colors and painting with the newly sampled color. The problem is, when I sample a color and switch back to the brush tool, the newly sampled color becomes the non-active/background color. Any way I can get the color picker to set the active/foreground color? I know that I can drag+option to select a color, but I need a way to re-bind the color picker to fit my workflow.

Thanks!

Ah yes, I see what you mean now. I've amended this post because I'd lost the plot first time around.

As Sima says, In the "colour" panel you need to make sure the top left colour circle is at the front (on top) before you start selecting the brush tool, then the colour picker, then the brush tool again, etc

Right way when you start working

right%20way_zpswvzt5gsa.jpg

That way it works as you want. It also works correctly when you Drag Alt/Click from the brush tool to select the colour.

If the bottom right colour circle is at the front when you start swapping between picker, brush, picker (or Drag Alt/Click) it does indeed switch around as you said.

Wrong way

wrong%20way_zpsgyreiirl.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Using the Alt/Option key with the Brush tool is obviously the most common way to pick colours when using the Brush tool.  However if as you said you would prefer to use the Colour Picker tool with the Brush tool then after selecting the Colour Picker tool, click the top circle to make it the active one (bring it forward).  This will mean that when you use the Colour Picker Tool it will set the brush colour, instead of the background colour.  See below screenshot.

post-29590-0-27289500-1495746912_thumb.png