You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I shot this pic (RAW) and the afternoon sun was "filtering" through the foliage, creating localized areas of green color cast. I was able to "get rid" of most of it via some LR tweaking. However, some green still exists on the bird's back and his (it is a male) tail feathers. I tried using the Adjustment Brush but I was unable to fully eliminate the green without introducing other artifacts.

The RGB values on his black feathers are: 20, 19, 22 and in the green cast area on his back: 19, 23, 16

Suggestions appreciated.

post-26175-0-90508200-1495657123_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing there are multiple ways to solve the problem. One way (and this might only work because you're trying to replace green with black) is to (i) duplicate the layer; (ii) select the area of the wing with the green tint; (ii) mask the duplicated layer using that selection; and (iv) use a black and white adjustment with the Green slider taken down "to the dark side."

post-12953-0-66910300-1495659662_thumb.jpg

If you wanted to replace the tint with a different color, you might be able to duplicate the layer, mask to reveal nothing but the greenish feathers, and then paint in the desired color. Setting the Blend Mode to "Color" might alleviate the problem in that case.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Nice that you were able to get so close to a Pileated - around here they're very skittish. Another way to deal with the green cast is to use the white balance and add in a little magenta.

It's quite easy because the bird is black.

Method 1   The best method really.

Select the area with the green cast. Use refine edges where the feathers go into the green background. Go to HSL and you can select "greens" rather than "master" and knock down the saturation and tweak luminosity. You can use HSL for most colour tuning tasks. 

Method 2  Just to show there are always other ways of doing things ;)

Use the "sponge" tool and desaturate the colour casted bit.

In both cases, it will probably lighten the area a little bit so darken them to suit. I used a Shadows and Highlights adjustment layer for that.

I used method 2 for your image (hope you don't mind me borrowing it for a short while) and selected around the area first because otherwise it would remove the green from the green. The main thing always is making the selections. I really like the way Affinity lets you select and refine areas. I selected the main area to change, refined the edges of the bird's feathers around the outside and feathered into the feathers  :rolleyes:

P.S. I did it very quickly as a challenge to myself as I'm still learning Affinity after migrating from Photoshop so it's far from perfect but hopefully it gives you the idea.

birdy_zpsbrfk65hd.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

A fast and cheap way: create a new layer, change the blending mode to color, pick the color from an area without the green cast, paint over the affected area.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch