You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Harrythespida

There are a few ways to get this effect, I have put instructions for two of them below.

Method 1

Drag the vector shape (an ellipse) drag the image of the ellipse over the image in the Layers panel until a blue vertical marker appears. Then apply a Gaussian Blur FX to the vector shape only. To select just the mask in the Layers panel, click over its thumbnail. The radius slider will control the width of the feather edge.

Method 2

If you use the elliptical marquee to make your shape, click the refine button on the context tool bar, increase the feather close to the maximum, increase the smooth and the ramp option and click apply.

Click select, invert pixel selection and then press the delete key. 

Thanks for method 1, John. For method 2, you need to make sure that the photo is on a pixel layer, not an image layer, otherwise pressing the Delete key will delete the entire photo; if you see '(Image)' in the Layers panel, right-click on it and choose 'Rasterize' to change the designation to '(Pixel)'.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Already beaten to it by the other posters, but as I've already typed it out, I'm going to post it anyway dag nammit.   :)

- Open Image

- Go to Layer > New Fill Layer.  Set the fill colour to white.  Drag this layer so that it's the bottom layer in the layers panel.

- Select the Ellispe tool from the left tool bar.  Drag a circular shape over your image.

- Drag the ellipse layer on top of the main image layer thumbnail, so it makes a mask from the elipse shape.

- Click the Layer Effects button in the bottom of the layers panel.  Add Gaussian blur.

It should look something similar to this.

post-29590-0-53189500-1495624766_thumb.jpg

Here's a video for Affinity Designer where they use similar steps to the above ones, but use a Star shape as a mask instead of a circle.

Affinity Designer - Tutorial 18 - How to use a mask

And here's a video which explains the difference between mask layers and clipping layers, which may also be of interest to you.

Affinity Photo - Clipping vs Masking

Already beaten to it by the other posters, but as I've already typed it out, I'm going to post it anyway dag nammit.   :)

Well, if he can do it, I can do it.

Like Jhoy's method 2 but I like a bit more control over the shape I end up with. A strict oval can look a bit boring and blur the wrong bit. Like heads, which tend to stick out so the top gets blurred too much.

Duplicate the layer first (as we always should). Make a selection on this layer of any shape, using any tool you fancy, ellipse marquee or a roughly drawn freehand shape around the subject.

Go to "refine edges" and set the "preview" to white (or black if appropriate) so you can see what you are ending up with. You can then use the "Feather" option to feather the image. Play around with "feather" and "ramp" until you are happy.

Apply it, duplicate the now feathered layer (Ctrl J) and that's it, no need to invert it or go near the delete key so you wont lose anything. You can now put the feathered image layer over anything. 

You can also "invert" the selection of the feathered layer and tweak the blended bit by using "curves". A bit like modifying a graduated tint.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 2 years later...

Hi @toltec.  Just got around to this, in my peregrinations learning Photo and Designer.  I like your method best.  Works like a charm.  Thank you so much.  It is amazing the things one can do if one has a clue!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9