Sign in to follow this  
Hokusai

Affinity crashes with the hand tool selected

I'm not sure why but twice in the last 3 days I have had Affinity Designer crash hard on me and bring down my whole system with it. In both cases I was drawing a shape on one layer while using a reference image on the bottom layer. While I was drawing, I pressed the spacebar to access the hand move tool and the program locked up. For some reason I couldn't force quit anything and it locked my screen to only Affinity Designer but it wouldn't allow me to do anything other than move the mouse around (with the hand tool selected). My keyboard was unresponsive and while I could move my mouse around the screen, I couldn't click on anything. I couldn't switch to another program, I couldn't force quit, nothing. I had to hard boot my computer to get it back. Is this a known bug? Is there a known work around? I'm using the latest beta version. As well I'm using Yosemite 10.10.1.

MEB,

Where might I find a crash report? In the Library/Logs/Crash Reporter? Or is it in the Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports (I'm guessing this one but it seems odd that a crash report isn't in the crash report folder)? Let me know and I'll pass it along.

Thanks,

Hokusai

MattP,

Thanks, I've sent it to you guys, the subject is "From Hokusai-Crash Report". I hope that helps. Let me know if there is anything more I can tell you. Also if you could let me know if you figure it out, I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

Hokusai

Hi Hokusai,

Thanks for that :)  Unfortunately, I think there must be something funny going on because the crash report only contained a crash from something called 'discoveryd' (which is an OS X process to do with DNS, I believe) and didn't have anything relating to Affinity in it :(  If you get the problem to happen again and you're able to go to that folder MEB mentioned above then there might be something relating to Affinity there this time, perhaps? I think the crash report filename usually starts with the name of the process that caused the crash, so look out for one of them that starts with "affinity" :)

Thanks again - hopefully we can track this down, but without a report to look at it's a very strange problem to find because I'm doing the same thing you're describing at least a hundred times each day without any issues, so I don't know where to start looking to find your problem? :(

Matt

MattP,

I was reading some stories today and I came across this one and it seems to explain my computer crashes. It must have just been a coincidence that I was running Affinity Designer at the time of both crashes. The story is an interesting read for anyone who is running Yosemite. http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/01/why-dns-in-os-x-10-10-is-broken-and-what-you-can-do-to-fix-it/

Hokusai

FYI I've been on Yosemite for a few months now and have had two of these crashes, both within the last week.  Just recovered from one a few minutes ago.  When the problem occurs everything is locked up except for being able to move the cursor with the mouse.  

I've been in AD both times but most of my computer time in the last week has been in AD.  I don't think I was doing anywhere the same process in AD.  This last time I was moving a shape.  When it locked the screen was half way updated from the move.  It sounds like what the article Hokusai referenced was talking about.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra