You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When I open any photo in Affinity I get an image as shown here with what I can only call, for want of a better description, "corrupted edges”. Why should this be and how can I avoid this? Nany thanks.

post-5518-0-47515000-1495545935_thumb.jpeg

post-5518-0-69315200-1495546026_thumb.jpeg

It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

Sorry that there are two photos posted, my mistake! if you click on one of them of them you will get a better view of what I mean.

• Staff

Hey Allsop, is it a Canon Powershot or another type of bridge camera by chance? These generally have cropping/correction instructions written into the exif data (I presume you're shooting raw?) in order to discard the edges of the frame, which as you can see are unusable. At the moment Photo doesn't read or use these instructions, so it just processes the entire image frame.

There are some ways around this:

1. Coming from a glass-half-full perspective, because Photo isn't discarding any pixel data, you can at least determine exactly how much to crop out. For example, you might want to crop out just some of the edge detail, then use inpainting to try and replace the remaining unusable detail.
  2. As Jack has mentioned, in the Develop Persona (when you first open the raw) you can move across to the Lens panel and use Scale to scale the image up and gradually remove the unusable areas.
  3. If you're on Mac, you can switch across to Apple's Core Image Raw engine rather than SerifLabs, and this will automatically crop into the image so you'll never see the unusable areas. To do this, in the Develop Persona, click the tuxedo icon on the top toolbar, and change RAW Engine to Apple (Core Image RAW).

Hope that helps! (Apologies for the bolding, just wanted to highlight key areas of the UI)

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Thanks guys I have gone the tuxedo route as suggested by James and changed the RAW engine and all now seems well  :) The particular camera I used here was a Samsung Lumix pocket camera, not my normal Canon 80D so I guess that that was the problem. Much obliged for your rapid assistance.