Hi all,

I am used to clip adjustment layers in Photoshop. What I mean by that is putting an adjustment layer in the stack, painting a mask on this adjustment layer and then adding another one clipped to it. I haven't found a way to do that in Affinity. Nesting adjustment layers doesn't work: the nested layer has no effect.

Is there an "Affinity" way to do the same thing?

Thanks for your help

Hi jphthierry,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but check the sample file attached. I've added an adjustment to the image layer and painted its built-in mask to limit the black and white adjustment to the earth planet only, then clipped another second independent mask to the main layer to limit the adjustment and the image layer to the painted area/circle i have created on this mask.

sample_file.afphoto

Back to Affinity after a while now that 1.7 is out. Your example does only partially answer my question. Imagine an image in which I want to apply different adjustments to the sky and the rest of the image. What I tend to to in PS is:

• create a selection for the sky
  • create a first adjustment layer; its mask is the sky selection
  • create as many adjustments layers as I want for the sky, clipping them to the first one

I can do the same for the rest of the image. I only have to create the mask for the sky once. I can't figure out a way to do the same thing in Affinity Photo. Either I have to apply the same mask to all adjustment layers or I have to duplicate the initial pixel layer to have 2 distinct masks. 

Regards

Thanks @PedroOfOz for pointing out this channel. There is a lot of information in there. That being said, it looks like he is copying the mask over and over and over. I ended up doing the same thing but finding it cumbersome (probably because I am used to either clipping or creating a group of adjustments with a mask on the group with photoshop). 

After creating a selection I routinely, in the Channels panel, right click 'Pixel Selection' > Create Spare Channel. Deselect the selection (no longer needed) then right click the created spare channel > Rename (to something appropriate).

That mask is then available for all Adjustment/Live Filter layers. No need to copy the mask(s).

I open an adjustment layer, for example Curves, right click the saved spare channel > Load To Curves Adjustment Alpha. As every adjustment layer has a built in mask it's just a matter of painting onto that layer to reduce/remove the applied adjustment where appropriate.

At the beginning of every new image edit as part of my workflow I make most if not all of the selections I'll require for the edit then save them as spare channels.

https://www.peterdinnan.com/     photography with elements of mood, abstraction, pareidolia, gestalt and the morphics

My engineer's brain likes to factorize whenever possible rather than copy/paste ;) Just need to get used to a different way of doing things. Thanks for the tips!

Interesting. This feels like a cumbersome shortcoming in Affinity Photo.

Ideally, I think it would look like this (quick mock-up):

image.png.1752033d059bdc427fac82cf9172cc50.png

(Just for reference, in Photoshop, it looks like this:)

image.png.2c207fa89a19d3a4aa2148094d29f09b.png

It's a bit weird that this doesn't exist since multiple masks per layer in Affinity works so much better than it does in Photoshop...

EDIT: Also, the workaround is nice and all, but I can tell you that it's a showstopper for the graphics guys at work. They wouldn't tolerate that workaround.

Agree. The beauty in Photoshop is that you don’t even need a pixel layer as a base for clipping. Not only is it saving time, but it also give a lot of flexibility having a parent mask and using the child ones to tweak further.

Not a show stopper for me as I am not time constrained but definitely a welcome feature going forward  

Ok, stop the presses, I just saw this video:

First off, funny that they mention a “bug” which is maybe what the OP was actually referring to, but then in the end they reveal the magic trick I didn’t know about:

All adjustment layers in Affinity are also masks!

So, forget my silly mock-up above (although that would be added functionality), turns out what I wanted is already in Affinity Photo, and again, one step simpler than in Photoshop! Hats off to the developers. :7_sweat_smile:

11 minutes ago, eobet said:

... in the end they reveal the magic trick I didn’t know about:

All adjustment layers in Affinity are also masks!

As Miguel wrote in his post two years ago (my emphasis):

On 5/23/2017 at 3:14 PM, MEB said:

I've added an adjustment to the image layer and painted its built-in mask to limit the black and white adjustment

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

It still doesn't match PS. It's playing with a pixel layer all the time. The screenshot below might be clearer. What I am looking for is a way to clip an adjustment layer to another adjustment layer. The parent one is not tied up to a pixel layer. I thought of creating a mask and then nesting adjustments below it; but it does exactly what the video is showing: it hides all pixels below

image.png.c8d1a30a46bf9897a4fb7992532f7d12.png