You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I can't figure out how to use a second monitor with Affinity Photo, the way I do in Lightroom.  I did a search and learned that it seems to be called - or is related to - "separated mode", and I found that under the Window tab, but clicking on that just takes away the image and leaves only the toolbars. How do I get the image in an editing screen on my iMac and the edited image by itself - no toolbars - on my external Dell monitor?  Thanks. 

• Staff

Hi dshombert,

Welcome to the forums.

When in Separate mode, the tools, panels etc are not restricted to the window, they can be moved/positioned on the desktop. If you have a multi-monitor setup you can also drag them onto another screen. When open, try right clicking the Affinity Photo icon on the dock and go to Options. Is it set to just one of the displays or all?

• 1 year later...
17 hours ago, cance440 said:

Not sure if I should post here or start another topic, but when I drag the tool panels into the second screen, they go back to the first screen when I go to another application. How do I make them stick?

Which version of the Mac OS are you using?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, cance440 said:

Currently using High Sierra. I'm also making extensive use of multiple desktops on the main monitor. 

OK. In System Preferences > Mission Control, do you have "Displays have separate spaces" enabled? What about the other Spaces-related options there?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7