You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DESIGNER: Curved Text Bottom Correct Side Up

• Staff

Hi SurJones,

I'm not sure i understood you question. Which type of curve are you referring to? a closed circle or an open path?

If it's an open path, use the Baseline control to move the text to the other side of the path. You may have to adjust the tracking/kerning to get it right.

If it's a circle, it should automatically move to the bottom half of the circle (to inside) when you reach half of the circle (by default) considering the point where you started writing it or when you press Enter. In any case the text is always heading upside. Then to move/align the bottom part (currently inside the circle) to outside the circle use the Baseline control on the context toolbar.

The text is wrapping to another line because the font size is too large for the available space.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi SurJones,

Draw a circle, go to "Layers" in the top toolbar, "Convert to Plot Text". Type the top text if there is one, or if there is none, simply click "Align to Center". Then click on "Enter" and type the bottom text, taking care not to use a font size too large.

tracé de texte

post-37692-0-16446500-1495477126_thumb.png

it looks like the curve was not closed.

In fact, it looks like there are two curves in the text path, a closed outer one & an open inner one, & the text can only be applied to the inner one. I'm not even sure how that could happen other than with some glitch in the software -- when I select two curves & use the Layer menu "Convert to Text Path" each of them becomes a separate text path.

Another oddity: If you select the April Connor text object with the Node tool & start deleting all the nodes on the outer curve, at some point the unclosed inner curve magically seems to close, but from what I can tell, only when you delete an outer node next to the two overlapping sharp nodes by the black arrow.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
18 minutes ago, jmca62 said:

I do not seem to have 'convert to plot text' in my layers dropdown.

If you mean ‘Convert to Path Text’, it’s only available in Affinity Designer. You won’t find it in Affinity Photo, but if you open an AD file in APh you can edit any path text that it contains.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Yes, I have Designer and in this string of conversation, they said this  - - - It is above

Draw a circle, go to "Layers" in the top toolbar, "Convert to Plot Text". Type the top text if there is one, or if there is none, simply click "Align to Center". Then click on "Enter" and type the bottom text, taking care not to use a font size too large.

tracé de texte

post-37692-0-16446500-1495477126_thumb.png

32 minutes ago, jmca62 said:

Yes, I have Designer and in this string of conversation, they said this  - - - It is above

tr

Hello jmca62,

@αℓƒяє∂ is right, it is "Convert to Path Text", I apparently did not check the translation of my text when I posted my message of May 22, 2017, I am sorry if I misled you.:(

• 6 months later...

i have a similar issue but i cant find the above mentioned edit, im totally new to affinity, i have no clue on how to fix it, if this was illustrator id just fight with the little path end lines till its bumped in to place, but here well, it doesn't flip :7_sweat_smile: find it funny that when i finally learn illustrator i had to switch and fight with the paths again!

the struggle with affinity.jpg

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro