You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

For some treason or other when I try to adjust the thickness of a line so it tapers using the pressure tab the left and tight handles, both handles move in unison. I cannot move one on its own.

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I have noticed this too. However, if you go to the pressure tab and click on the curve you will add an extra node. Then drag that node to the left or right hand side of the box. This will give you the asymmetric adjustment that you were looking for. HTH

peter

You can add and adjust as many tabs as you like.

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

That is what I have done but I do not believe that it is correct. The effect I'm trying to achieve is a tapering line from maximum thicknes to minimum. This is the first time its happened and I have use this feature many times - I think there is a fault.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Hi Jack,

When you drag one of these nodes (the little squares at the end of the profile curve) they both move simultaneously as you noted. If you look closely both display a small point inside the squares. This means they are "tied" together.

To move the nodes independently click on one of them. You will see those little points disappearing meaning they are now independent from each other.

Thanks MEB. Another string to my bow!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Do you think the need for this 'unison' feature, as a default, outweighs them being independent? Why is it that I never had that problem before?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Yes, i believe it is better the way it is. The reason is, the pressure profiles obviously also work for shapes. Having both nodes tied means that we always ensure a seamless join between the start and end points of the shape's stroke (so there's no abrupt jumps in the width of the it).

I think this is what the users expect when they first apply a pressure profile, and it's important they get it right without having to look for additional settings to make it work. This issue isn't evident when applied to an open path (a single line), where the end points never join, and so i think that having them tied as default works better for both situations.

Unlocking them is just a click a way anyway...

You probably didn't notice this before because you were applying it to a shape? 

You are correct in that I have only been using it for lines. How do use it for shapes? Can you explain?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

It works exactly the same as for lines/open paths. Draw a shape, open the line style drop down from the context toolbar and create and apply a profile. With the profile nodes tied you get a smooth transition between the start and end point of the shape. With the profile's nodes working independent from each other you will get an abrupt jump in width.