You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vignetting help please

I have returned to trying Affinity after quite a while as when I first tried it I just could not work it out, (guess the learning curve was too steep for me back then) but now I am determined to conquer it as I refuse to pay Adobe any more. Bearing this in mind please treat me as a newbie!

I lke to apply a vignette to most of my photographs and in Lightroom I had a preset of -11 to do it with a click of a button but I am bewildered how to do this in Affinity, I can’t even find a vignetting tool! Also can anyone point me to where I can learn about presets in Affinity please?

Many thanksl for any help.

Cheers.

It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

You can find the Vignette Live Filter under the Layer menu, New Live Filter Layer, Vignette Filter (fourth from the bottom).

Bear in mind that when you apply a live filter AP automatically adds the filter to the selected layer.

If you want to add the filter to the very top of your layer stack then you can either press ESC on the keyboard or choose Deselect Layers from the Select menu.

Lastly, there is also an option in the Assistant (the tailcoat icon on the toolbar next to the snapping icon's group) where you can set a global preference for the above-mentioned behavior, choosing to either have the filter layer added as a child layer or as a new layer. Tweaking this preference will affect all next Affinity Photo sessions.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

There's also a way to do this in the Develop Module.  It's under the Lens tab> Post Crop Vingette.  It works kind of like the vignette section in Lightrorom, though I think it works backwards to Adobe's approach.   You have the sliders: Intensity, Scale, and Hardness.  Sliding the Intensity to the left darkens the image.  Scale changes how much of the image the vignette covers, and hardness the ring of the vignette.  I don't see a control for midpoint like in Adobe, where you can adjust the center of the vignette.  It's always at the center of the layer you selected.

cheers!

To record a macro, Affinity's equivalent to Adobe's preset, Click View > Studio > Macro.  From there click record.  Anything you do from this point will be recorded until the stop recording button is clicked.

Click layers > New Live Filter Layer > Vignette Filter.  Use the sliders to get the required effect you want.  Return to the Macro function and click stop recording.  Click the add to libraries button where you will be prompted to give your macro a name.  Do so and your macro will appear in the Library.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.