You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Technical illustration of a Dowel Jig

jackamus

This is my first attempt at a technical illustration on a computer. Prior to this I spent over 30 years using a drawing board, technical pens and ellipse templates.

My previous experience with vector graphics was Serif's DrawPlusX5-6 on a PC. I acquired Adobe Illustrator but found it difficult to use and I was too old to learn new ways. I then moved over to a Mac and was delighted when I was offered the Beta version of Affinity. This was very similar to DrawPlus which made it easy for me use.

Since Affinity does not yet have a perspective drawing feature I used Adobe Illustrator to construct a perspective grid which I was able to load onto Affinity. There were a couple of effects I wanted to use but didn't know how. Fortunately Affinity's Forum provided me with the answers.

This is a woodworking jig I designed for drilling wooden dowel holes for joining wood together. If anyone wants to know how it works just let me know.

Dowel jig exploded view.afdesign

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Great job there. DrawPlus also has a good selection of tools. So as time progresses AD's tool box will fill up. Not with a wide selection of Swiss Army knives, but a choice selection of sonic screw drivers :ph34r:  :)  (this is not my wording, but I wished it was.)

Roll on Version 3...

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Great job there. DrawPlus also has a good selection of tools. So as time progresses AD's tool box will fill up. Not with a wide selection of Swiss Army knives, but a choice selection of sonic screw drivers :ph34r:  :)  (this is not my wording, but I wished it was.)

Roll on Version 3...

As long as they're Posidrive and not Phillips! :rolleyes:

By the way we live in the same county - I'm in Isleham.

I've always been impressed by your finished works, Jack - and this is no exception! Congratulations - a great illustration! :)

Thanks Mat. When we swapping emails about introducing perspective into DP I now know what you must have been up to - Affinity!

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

No. Where do I find that?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Did you forget to include the link Matt?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

So this is what you were working on! If this is your first attempt at a technical illustration on a computer, i can't imagine what you will be doing in a few months with more experience and new Affinity features... Great work :)

Now i understand what you were trying to achieve with the "hole" question.

The video window is on Matt's post. Isn't it displaying for you? Maybe there's a problem with the forum/settings.

Here's a direct link.

Hi Matt,

Yes I saw it and what a teaser it is! However I don't think I will be using an iPad. I will probably go for the latest iMac. One of the things I haven't tried with Affinity is my drawing tablet. I have an Intuos 4 but the pen has gone all sticky. Any idea how to clean it up?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

So this is what you were working on! If this is your first attempt at a technical illustration on a computer, i can't imagine what you will be doing in a few months with more experience and new Affinity features... Great work :)

Now i understand what you were trying to achieve with the "hole" question.

The video window is on Matt's post. Isn't it displaying for you? Maybe there's a problem with the forum/settings.

Here's a direct link.

Thanks for the compliments MEB. The problem with me is finding a project to illustrate. However having said that I designed a lawnmower cylinder grinder, which I am making, so I think I will have a go at that. This would be in colour.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

As long as they're Posidrive and not Phillips! :rolleyes:

By the way we live in the same county - I'm in Isleham.

Thanks Mat. When we swapping emails about introducing perspective into DP I now know what you must have been up to - Affinity!

I know Isleham, driven through it often enough!

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Hang on a minute! Isleham is one of those places that is not on a road to anywhere. It is a place that you deliberately go to visit. :D

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Ah the Griffin. Its too rough for me.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I never thought of that. LOL!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

What is AD?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

What is AD?

I'd hazard a guess that in the context, AD = Affinity Designer. ;)

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?